Question

Sonos AMP Wiring

• 10 October 2020
  • 10 replies

Hi,

I am considering purchasing the new Sonos AMP, and I have several questions that I would like to ask.

1. I've read that the new Sonos AMP are able to handle 4 speakers simultaneously, and here's the configuration that I'm thinking to have:

sonos-diagram.jpg

2. Is it possible to have all three zones play different songs with different volume?

3. When we are using Spotify, do we need different Spotify users for each zone?

4. Is there anything else that I should be aware of? Or pay attention to, before committing enough budget to purchase all these? Or any other suggestions with similar results?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Looks like you would need three Sonos Amps to do what you want to do.

A single Sonos Amp can only play a single source.  There is no capability to play different sources in different zones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Also your setup would play right channel sound in the back yard, stereo inside and left on the porch.

If you could live with just two audio streams you could have Stereo inside from one Amp and the other feeding Mono sound to both outside speakers.

Oh wow, I didn’t realize that -- I think I would need to scout out more details on amplifier that’s able to do different rooms.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Oh wow, I didn’t realize that -- I think I would need to scout out more details on amplifier that’s able to do different rooms.

It is impossible for one amp to deliver different music to different rooms. I suggest you buy some second-hand Sonos Play 3 . The Play 3 is S2 compatible, the sound is better than the Sonos One, and the price is much more affordable than a new Five.

If you want to keep the KEFs, then two S2-compatible Connect Amps might be a good choice. You can buy two secondhand at the price of one new Sonos Amp.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

They make some great amplifiers that have multiple zones and can play different music in each zone. I just scrapped two here, I was tired of the aggravations of that setup and wanted the much more user friendly Sonos approach.

Thanks for great answers here -- in this case, my options would be either to install the cables and speakers first and then connect it to the same AMP, or I need to save my money and purchase multiple AMPs for multiple areas.

I’ll make sure the cables are laid out first so I can change/add new amplifiers at a later stage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you have the speakers and cables set up you can easily swap things around with the banana plugs.

If you set the Amp to Mono the outside speakers will sound good but you’d be mono inside too.

If you have the speakers and cables set up you can easily swap things around with the banana plugs.

If you set the Amp to Mono the outside speakers will sound good but you’d be mono inside too.

But to do that, I will need to have several amplifiers in the same position, right?

I’m thinking of purchasing a second hand as someone mentioned above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You’d be able to play the single source the Amp is set to in all locations, as above multiple sources require multiple Amps.

Not a lot of used Amps out there, ebay might be a help. If you want the older and much lesser Connect Amp or much older ZP Amp you might find something. BEWARE of recycled gear and stuff not S2 compatible in the used market.

Maybe look into Sonos refurbished gear directly from Sonos?