Setup in mind with Sonos Playbase + MacMini + TV

• 9 August 2017
  • 2 replies

So, I'm seriously considering getting into the Sonos family with a Playbase... I know it might not be the best entry system but since I got a new TV and I also need a music system it'd be the one that suits best my needs.

Now my problem is that I also own a MacMini as a media center and would like both TV and Mac to work together with the Sonos. After reading some other threads around here I came up with the following setup which I'm not sure it'll work:

TV (Samsung UE55MU6105) connected to Sonos through optical cable. (Watching TV / Netflix + Others sorted out)
MacMini connected to the TV through Jack to components (RCA) (TV does not have optical nor standard jack input). Cable as image below.

The idea is that audio from the MacMini will be output from the TV speakers and, because TV is connected to the Sonos through optical audio, it also outputs from the Sonos.

Now I understand there are lots of assumptions here and I'm not an audio expert so would like to know if someone has tried this or knows it works before spending on the system.

Thanks in advance 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Just out of curiosity, why not connect the Mac Mini to the TV using HDMI, and avoiding the potential issues with the RCA cables? That way, the sound would be carried to the TV and out directly to the Playbar/Playbase.
Just out of curiosity, why not connect the Mac Mini to the TV using HDMI, and avoiding the potential issues with the RCA cables? That way, the sound would be carried to the TV and out directly to the Playbar/Playbase.

Umm, that's actually a very good point. I didn't think of that. Would still need some adapters as the mac mini is old and the mini-display port does not carry sound but can get video and sound into a Hdmi through an adapter.

As long as that works it would definitely be simpler. Thanks for that.