Selling SONOS

• 22 February 2020
  • 10 replies

Due to Sonos dumping old stock and screwing there customers out of potentially £1000s pounds of soon to be now useless equipment are you going to stop buying Sonos and buy another brand as I am?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

No. Btw, 'their' customers. 

I’m curious as to how they’re going to be ‘soon to be useless devices’. My understanding from all the official communications is that ‘legacy’ devices will continue to work as they have been, but no longer receive new features, only bug fixes. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Due to Sonos dumping old stock and screwing there customers out of potentially £1000s pounds of soon to be now useless equipment are you going to stop buying Sonos and buy another brand as I am?

Was unaware that speakers were “soon” to be made useless! So can’t respond to this faux drama. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Dumping old stock? First I’ve heard of that and I’d love to get my hands on some deeply discounted new Sonos gear. Where can I get some of this dumped stuff?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The forum represents some quite polarised views about the current state of Sonos. For me they have handled communication unbelievably poorly and I certainly trust them less than before. Having said that I still like the system despite some issues particularly the slow pace of product development. How hard could it have been to upgrade the Playbar and Playbase to arc hdmi and for both to support AirPlay 2? 

Going forward I shall wait until the May announcement to see if it shows the direction the company is going to take and make a decision on future purchases then. What I’d like to see is more support for audio formats and an Atmos supporting home cinema system. Should they offer that then I would probably buy given Sonos is still more integrated than any rival for my needs. If not I’ll give consideration to alternatives to see if they suit me better. If I was the owner of legacy products watching this comms fiasco I may feel differently however.

I have Sonos devices both old and new … I’m not particularly bothered if I have to divide my system into legacy and modern. I’m sure I’ll cope with that. 

I’m just happy that all my devices will keep working long-term and/or for the foreseeable future, which is all anyone can ever really ask for from such an original and almost unique HiFi computerised product .. I actually don’t like the alternatives from other manufacturers, so I’m choosing to stick with Sonos. They’re still the ‘best in class’ in my humble opinion and all that the company have announced, now seems sensible to me, to keep the company at the forefront of what these multi-room wireless devices can and will 'likely' do, going forward.

I’m quite sure we will see some new ‘feature-improved’ products from Sonos too, later this year, which most likely will keep me wanting more… so I’m keeping the door here at home wide-open to Sonos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

For me they have handled communication unbelievably poorly and I certainly trust them less than before. Having said that I still like the system despite some issues particularly the slow pace of product development. How hard could it have been to upgrade the Playbar and Playbase to arc hdmi and for both to support AirPlay 2? 

Going forward I shall wait until the May announcement to see if it shows the direction the company is going to take and make a decision on future purchases then. What I’d like to see is more support for audio formats and an Atmos supporting home cinema system. Should they offer that then I would probably buy given Sonos is still more integrated than any rival for my needs. If not I’ll give consideration to alternatives to see if they suit me better. If I was the owner of legacy products watching this comms fiasco I may feel differently however.

I agree with much of what you say here. I think their communication has been abysmal to be honest. I do empathize with their challenge to want to move the business into a more modern space on one simplified software platform. The old devices probably cannot take the future plans. There are those who don’t like the fact that some devices will be made legacy and have expressed their angst in some pretty dramatic ways. This doesn’t trouble me as much because when I bought into Sonos I did not have an expectation of products lasting 20 years. I said to myself given the nature of the technology if I got 10 years out of a device I would be happy. Ppl need to stop making comparisons to traditional Hifi gear. So you think your smart lock will last as long as a traditional one that you might have for 25 years?

it also comes down to the alternatives for me. At this point I will not give up on Sonos for any other option. On balance I think they will serve me best. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Without any additional information from Sonos, I’ll be making that decision some time after May. I don’t know what you mean about dumping old stock as I’ve never heard or seen any evidence to suggest that ever happened. There are third party retailers who have sold old stock, but even they may not have had any inkling that this situation was about to arise, similar to the home audio installers who may have recommended Sonos to their customer base and are now receiving a lot of heat.

I also wouldn’t make a blanket statement that the equipment is useless as it will almost certainly continue to stream your own music files locally for quite some time. You probably mean that the equipment will be useless to you. I feel pretty much the same if streaming music services stop working, but other may not depending on their use.

If any of my preferred music services stop working with my legacy devices after May, I’ll strongly consider migrating, but I’m still hopeful Sonos will keep core functionality going for the foreseeable future.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Is this still an ongoing thread? “Sonos Move on nothing to see here”

@Matt4337 what you selling?

I don’t wish to antagonise but you are misinformed Matt, did you have this reaction when Bill Gates killed of Windows 95 and the PC’s around the world became useless equipment.

Sonos didn’t do a great job in the way they published the ‘legacy’ issue and have taken a lot of stick and bad press, but they have my loyalty.

Sonos is the ultimate wireless home sound system: a whole-house WiFi network that fills your home with brilliant sound. And if you can find another brand that can match sonos in this field then please supply a link.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Sonos is the ultimate wireless home sound system: a whole-house WiFi network that fills your home with brilliant sound. And if you can find another brand that can match sonos in this field then please supply a link.

https://www.bluesound.com/

They seem to be the most similar company at this time. I have no current experience with this company and I’m sure Sonos does some things better, but Bluesound does offer MQA and 24bit audio if thats important to someone (its actually not to me).