Question

samsung Q8 and Arc

• 2 July 2020
  • 5 replies

I’m thinking of purchasing a Sonos Arc but can’t find any info on whether the Q8 is compatible with Dolby Atmos. Can anyone point me to this info?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

To answer this, please provide the year and exact model number.  In the meantime, you may want to do search on Q80R.  It does not have the eARC needed.  Also, if you have not looked into this, check out the posts regarding audio lag on Samsung.  It’s not a Sonos problem per se, but Samsung’s lack of quality Audio Return Channel engineering.    I have several posts about it.  At one point I thought it was conquered but it’s not.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have a 2020 Samsung Q80T with eArc. I am having zero issues with Atmos feeds or lip sync issues so far. 
System is working as designed and really kicks some but with the Sub and a pair of One SL rears. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@Alberta Beagle That is great.  I am finally working with Samsung to refund the TV.  I submitted all the paper work.  I’ve been checking brands for a 75” (no larger) and based upon the pricing the Q80T was still in my range.

Thanks for the reply @MSterling 

The exact model number is QN55Q8FNBF.  It’s a 2018 model.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@gcforbes that model does not have the HDMI-eARC (extended audio return channel) which is required from the TV to receive the Atmos signal assuming the content produces it.