S2 Upgrade - Worthwhile ???

• 26 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have been using SONOS since the product came out and am currently have a SONOS S1 based system. I have upgraded the AMPS but have three generation 1 Play 5’s that are preventing me form going to S2.  The total cost to upgrade to S2 is over 1K and I am having a hard time justifying the price to to the upgrade if I am not going to get a major benefit. 

All of our music file are ripped to the FLAC format and stored on a SYNOGY DS1815+ NAS. The connection to the NAS is via the SMB1 protocol which they may not support when they release the SYNOLOGY DSM7.x update latter this year. In addition SMB1 is considered a security risk. I cannot get a answer form SONOS on how the S2 based products will access the NAS. My wife does stream some music from various sources but this is not the main source .

UPDATE:

I just looked at some other threads on the forum for some additional information on S2 and  and will NOT be taking the plunge to S2 anytime soon based on what has been posted so far.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The part you’re missing, by just seeing the posts here, is the much larger population who updated to S2, without issue. Because they had no issue, they felt no need to post about it. 

It’s like walking in to a hospital, and then assuming the entire population of the world is dying. Yes, the people in the hospital are sick, but healthy people tend not to hang out in hospitals. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm happy on S1, it works very well and nice not to have to update every time you want to listen to music etc.

S2 is still on SMBv1 which is shocking really. 

I'm happy on S1, it works very well and nice not to have to update every time you want to listen to music etc.

S2 is still on SMBv1 which is shocking really. 

Ditto for S1; and since I do not understand this SMB issue, it does not affect me.