S1 with Smart Devices

• 21 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if Smart devices are now compatible with Sonos S1 systems and Deezer? Many thanks

8 replies

Your question is rather broad, and the broad answer is yes.  Sonos works has worked with various smart devices and services  for control and automation for many years now.  However, it’s quite that what devices or task you have in mind can’t be done with Sonos.  You would need to be more specific with your question.

Badge

Your question is rather broad, and the broad answer is yes.  Sonos works has worked with various smart devices and services  for control and automation for many years now.  However, it’s quite that what devices or task you have in mind can’t be done with Sonos.  You would need to be more specific with your question.

Hi Danny,
Thanks for the answer. I was going to put more info in my original post but I got thrown off whilst doing it and couldn’t be bothered to retype it all ! ;)

I once had an Amazon Echo dot but gave it away as it didn’t work with Deezer, which is my only streaming service. I was also unsure if these devices work with the older S1 Sonos set up that I have. I’m looking to be able to control Sonos with voice command to play the Deezer playlists that I have already created. Also, perhaps, to be able to save songs to playlists as I go along.

Hope that puts a bit of ‘meat on the bones” Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s a Deezer Alexa skill: https://www.amazon.com/Deezer/dp/B077K659KM

Hi Danny,
Thanks for the answer. I was going to put more info in my original post but I got thrown off whilst doing it and couldn’t be bothered to retype it all ! ;)

I once had an Amazon Echo dot but gave it away as it didn’t work with Deezer, which is my only streaming service. I was also unsure if these devices work with the older S1 Sonos set up that I have. I’m looking to be able to control Sonos with voice command to play the Deezer playlists that I have already created. Also, perhaps, to be able to save songs to playlists as I go along.

Hope that puts a bit of ‘meat on the bones” Cheers

Yes you can use Alexa to voice-control the playback of your Deezer playlists on Sonos devices - just setup Deezer in your Sonos and Amazon Alexa Apps .. Select Deezer as the default music services in the Alexa App - add the Sonos Skill and simply place your echo device (dot) as the ‘enabling/controlling’ device in an Alexa group and place your Sonos speaker as the chosen/preferred speaker in the same group and Alexa will play your Deezer playlists on that Sonos device - you can even add more than one speaker to the group and all will auto-group and play.

Note too you don’t always need an Amazon echo device, as some Sonos devices like the Sonos One/Beam/Move etc. have voice assistant capabilities built-in and can be used in the same/similar way with the Sonos Skill.

Badge

Hi Danny,

Can you use Google devices?

Badge

Sorry that should have been KG

Yes, you can use Google Assistant instead (Similar to the Alexa skill, just install the Sonos ‘action’ in the Google Home App), but note… whereas Alexa has some grouping/ungrouping features for Sonos devices & group volume control, you are slightly limited with Google, in that you have to do the room grouping and adjust ‘group’ volume via the Sonos App, but otherwise Google Assistant & Deezer work well with Sonos too.

Badge

Yes, you can use Google Assistant instead (Similar to the Alexa skill, just install the Sonos ‘action’ in the Google Home App), but note… whereas Alexa has some grouping/ungrouping features for Sonos devices & group volume control, you are slightly limited with Google, in that you have to do the room grouping and adjust ‘group’ volume via the Sonos App, but otherwise Google Assistant & Deezer work well with Sonos too.

That’s really useful information Ken. Many thanks, much appreciated