Roam or Move or both? Help!

• 30 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi Sonos novice here, got a big birthday coming up and want to treat myself. I can't decide on whether to get 2 x Roam or a Move speaker. I want to be able to take music in the garden at a reasonable sound level, but blast it in the house? Can anybody advise what is best to get, and/or how loud 2 x Roam are.......thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Get the Move. It is a great-sounding portable speaker that can fill a room indoors and is loud enough to cover a decent size area outdoors.

The Roam is fine for what it is... a small personal portable speaker... but the sound quality and volume is nowhere near what the Move can produce. Even a pair of Roams pales in comparison. Also keep in mind that the Roams can’t be paired as a stereo pair while in Bluetooth mode. So if your garden is out of range of your WiFi, then a stereo pair of Roams won’t work.

Thanks for the advice, with the Move being singular it doesn't lose anything that two speakers give? Can see there is the option to buy the Move and one Roam speaker, and wondering if that is best option, or as I'm only going to listen indoors or outdoors is that pointless. Am going to order today in all liklihood 

Thanks for the advice, with the Move being singular it doesn't lose anything that two speakers give?

You lose stereo - but stereo is of doubtful value unless you are listening attentively in the best listening position.  And as @GuitarSuperstar said, if the speakers go out of wifi range in the garden, you won’t have that anyway with the Roams

Can see there is the option to buy the Move and one Roam speaker, and wondering if that is best option, or as I'm only going to listen indoors or outdoors is that pointless. Am going to order today in all liklihood 

Essentially the Move is good for easily taking music around your home’s indoor and outdoor space.  The Roam is good for taking away from home - to the beach, say - as a small personal speaker.  I would just order the Move for the time being, if I were you.

Badge +17

I have both as my personal units, and I use each one in different scenarios. Since I’m obviously a little biased, I’ll let you know how I use mine, and how I choose between which one to use where.

Move:

• I bring Move outside with me onto my balcony when sitting out, or into the garden when cutting the grass or doing other gardening work.
  • It mostly lives indoors, in my living room for general background music.
  • I have taken it travelling to use in my hotel room (in Bluetooth mode) but that was before Roam arrived, so I’d likely take Roam with me next time I travel.

Roam:

• Roam is my personal listening speaker that sits on my desk while I work.
  • I can use Roam without fear in my bathroom. Since we can’t have outlets in the bathroom here in the UK, it’s filled that gap for me.
  • As noted above, I’ll use Roam when travelling in place of Move due to its small, lightweight design.

Move is, without a doubt, louder than Roam, which is why I will use it outside when working in the garden. I don’t blast my music in the house (I’m not sure the neighbours would love me if I did!) but Roam could still get plenty loud enough for me if I crank the volume bar up high. Typical, indoor listening volumes for me are around 20% on Move, and 50% on Roam.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for the advice, absolutely perfect. One Move now ordered! 

😀😃