Answered

Replace Sonos Play:5 gen 1

• 21 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi! The Sonos replacement program tells me that my Sonos Play:5 gen 1 won't receive update from may 2020. Have any of you any experience with Play:5 gen1 vs Sonos Move? I love that's it portable but I don’t want to step down too much in sound quality. But since the gen1 is quite old it might not be any big difference?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 21 February 2020, 11:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I do like the Sonos Move, personally speaking, but it’s probably closer sounding to a Sonos One, or older Play:3, than it is to a Play 5 (gen1), but I find I use my own Move Speaker a lot, both inside and outside the home. The Move has versatility (and sounds good for its size), whilst the Play 5 (gen 1) still has the edge in terms of sound, IMHO.

The newer Play 5 (gen2) on the other-hand is still the best Sonos stand-alone Speaker... and sounds great, moreso if you can stretch to a stereo pair with a 30% discount, or perhaps buy another one later-on, further down the line.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have the Move as well as two Gen 1 Play 5s. In the months I have owned the Move I have never done a side by side comparison with the Gen 1 Play 5. Your question prompts me to do this. I too am wondering what is the best upgrade route for the Play 5s. My current thinking is the Move since it’s been such a maiden and versatile speaker but maybe I should spend a little time doing comparisons. Not sure I need the power of the Gen 2 Play 5. 

Thanks a lot for taking time answering this! :thumbsup_tone2: