Recomendations for Sonos product for both TV and computer connection

• 7 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

Newby here.

I've read thru the 'Using Sonos as PC speakers' post which explains a lot of the options. However, as I'm new to Sonos I wanted to understand my options and any associated limitations in my use scenario.

I will be going whole home with Sonos over the coming months but only have a Roam at the moment as wanted to test operability and the sound profile.

My question is regarding one room, a home office, where I would like to connect both a local TV and a local PC to the same Sonos product and be able to,

1. Watch TV, mainly when the wife has commanded the main room, (which will have ARC/Sub/Era 300s), or with news in background whilst working. Stereo presentation is fine, Atmos not necesarily needed.

2. Use the speaker for PC audio, (Teams, music etc) Not likely video as the speaker will be at 90' to me when using PC so a short audio delay would probably be fine.

3. Playing same audio around the whole house.

It seems I'm looking at units that will provide 2 inputs.

So suggestions and limitations and any practical considerations from those who have a similar setup. 

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

To have two inputs to a Sonos HT product means you will likely need to use some sort of optical switch, but perhaps consider simply using two separate Sonos Rays instead, as they are small enough, yet fine, to fill a reasonable size room and ideal in front of a PC monitor (or two) and a TV.

For the TV/Ray in the same room, perhaps also add two surrounds and/or a Sub Mini. You can perhaps also go onto group all to fill the room with music audio aswell, although that might muddy the soundstage.

Thanks for the update. 

So no Sonos products have both hdmi and a second input?

It occured to me after posting that it might be easier to connect the TV as an additional monitor to the PC, via HDMI, then use the TV to switch to the PC source which would route it to the Sonos device bia the TV eARC.

Yes, that’s the case you can use either an optical connection which, in some cases, needs the Sonos "Optical to HDMI" adapter, or an HDMI-ARC/eARC connection, but not both at the same time. The Sonos Ray has an Optical connection only.