Answered

Question about Sonos Amp

• 4 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a crappy turntable with a preamp connected to a Sonos Port that works fine in streaming vinyl to my Sonos system.

It’s functional but sounds terrible and I’d like to upgrade to a good turntable.

The one I am looking at does not have a preamp so that means I need a Sonos Amp correct?

I guess my question is do I need the Amp AND the Port?

Or does the Sonos Amp have the same functionality as the Port, i.e. can stream to my Sonos system, but with a preamp built in?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 March 2022, 18:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

All Sonos analog line ins are looking for a standard ‘line level’ input. Most phono devices output a ‘phono level’ output, and require a pre-amp to boost that signal to line level. 

These days, many turntables come with a pre-amp built in, so there is a switch to change the output from ‘phono level’ to ‘line level’, so you may not need to keep your older preamp. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah, this turntable has a preamp built-in and I have no other preamp hooked up before the Port.

On the back is just a power line for the turntable and two RCA jacks I have hooked to the Port.

So if I get a turntable without a preamp, I need a Sonos Amp, I think I get that part.  My question is does the Amp also stream to my Sonos system or do I need to hook it up to the Port for this?

Thanks

The major difference between the Sonos Port and the Sonos Amps boil down to two things. Input/output ports, and the amplifier used to drive other company’s speakers. If you’re not powering someone else’s speakers, there is no reason to get the Amp, and should stick with the Port. 

The Amp does not include the circuitry to act as a pre-amp, you would still need a pre-amp for the turntable, either built in or external, to get that signal from ‘phono level’ to ‘line level’. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok got it.  So the simplest way to go to stream vinyl is a TT with a bulit-in preamp > Sonos Port.

For a more high end TT without a preamp it’s the TT > Preamp > Port.

Right. The only reason you’d want to substitute an Amp is if you were trying to power another set of non-Sonos passive (non-powered) speakers.

In both cases, the pre-amp is required to boost the signal from the turntable. As I said, some of them have them built in these days, but not all. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

When looking at phono preamps make sure to get the right kind or one that supports both types of phono cartridge, MC and MM. Moving Coil and Moving Magnet, the latter being most common.

I’m not sure if the phono preamp’s RIAA equalization curve changes but the amplification level does, the MC need more.