Answered

Projector + Apple TV + Sonos

• 5 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi guys

I went through the community topics and found a few posts about similar issues i am facing, however not the exact same one. Here the challenge:

I have a projector and an apple TV. Now i am looking for a sound system to connect those products together, with the least cables possible. I was thinking to get a Beam. But: As the projector (and apple tv box) is behind the coach, i would not like to have a cable from the projector all the way to the front wall (about 4-5 meters). I have read about the approach where you put a HDMI switcher/spliter between the projector and the apple TV/Sonos, however, this would really not be practical as then i have a cable from the back of my living room all the way to the front.

Is there any other way around that? I am thinking Airplay II etc...

Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 November 2018, 14:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

If it’s just for AirPlaying from the ATV or other local iOS devices only, then you could cable the ATV over HDMI to your projector and send the AirPlay-2 audio over WiFi to one of these Sonos devices ...

Beam
PlayBase
Play-5 (gen 2)
New Sonos Amp due for release in 2019
Sonos One

I really don’t see the point in having the first 4 devices in the list, as there is no actual TV in your setup, so I would just go with Sonos Ones, perhaps as a stereo pair, located either side of the screen. You could also add a sub too if you want the extra bass.

The setup will work for all Airplay-2 output from the Apple TV, movies, music etc. but you are limited then to what is available on that device, or any other iOS devices on your local network.
By the way if you also register your Sonos One stereo pair in Apple HomeKit as an accessory, you can control some aspects of your ATV via Siri voice control too, including playing Movies and Apple music.