Answered

Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable FIve - Headphones?

• 26 December 2021
  • 6 replies

i have purchased the Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB Turntable Five and want to listen to the vinyl via headphones as well.

Any suggestions what amp/splitter i would need to achieve this?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by ratty 26 December 2021, 18:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You might have perhaps been better off with the Sonos Port perhaps 🤔, as you could have then used it’s line-in for your turntable as the playing source …and used the Port line-out to a headphone Amp or Bluetooth transmitter to your headphones, but presumably you needed the Five speaker.

I would just opt to add the Sonos Port to your setup and connect the headphones via that or maybe wait to see if the ‘rumours’ are true that Sonos are working on headphones, as widely discussed in threads here and elsewhere online.

Just get a suitable splitter cable and wire up a headphone amp or transmitter. Since the turntable has RCA outs I suggest using an RCA splitter, together with an RCA-to-3.5mm cable to connect the Five.

As for the headphone amp, assuming they’re wired cans, it depends on your budget. The Schiit Magni is excellent value and can drive just about anything.

Thank you. Appreciate the great advice.

It appears that the Schilt Magni is sold out on various retail sites. Apologies, but could you offer a quality alternative? This is all new to me and any advice would be brilliant. There appears to be a few on Amazon but i do find it a minefield in purchasing the right spec etc.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Yes, unfortunately a combination of Covid and Brexit has evidently starved the UK of Schiit supplies. 

As a possible alternative consider a quality Chinese product such as from Topping or SMSL. They come in all shapes and sizes, to suit a range of budgets.

Took the advice and purchased the Topping A50s amp.

As i say please bear with me as i’m new to this. A few questions where i need help if thats ok?

1. What is the correct wring with the turntable / amp / Sonos 5?
  2. Volume does appear low and sound quality is not brilliant/clear
  3. Can i adjust the sound/graphic equaliser via the Sonos app - tried but no effect
  4. Do i constantly have to rewire if i just want to play the turntable via the Sonos 5?

Many apologies for all these questions but i am a newbie and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Firstly it sounds like you haven’t enabled the phono preamp stage in the turntable. This needs to be turned on, i.e. in ‘Line’ mode.

As for wiring, that Topping unit (which is quite pricey-- and good -- but that’s up to you) has an output which appears to be enabled when headphones aren’t connected.

So you have a choice:

• wire the Topping’s outputs to the Five and unplug the headphones whenever you want to play through Sonos, or
  • get a Y splitter cable as suggested earlier, with one feed going to the Topping and one to the Five