Please add digital tuner to Sonos Port

• 4 December 2021
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I would buy the port if it had a digital HD tuner built in and could whole stream content to other devices on the sonos echo system. 

25 replies

What exactly do you mean by a digital tuner? It already runs the Sonos software, which includes access to hundreds, if not thousands, of digital streams, as well as functioning as a digitizer for the analog input. Which then sends that signal to any Sonos device in the system. What’s missing from this?

Userlevel 7

The Port is a music and audio streaming device, not a digital TV tuner. I wouldn’t expect that to ever change.

the sonos echo system. 

What’s that then? Sonos is Sonos. Echo is Amazon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What’s the use of having an HD (DAB+??) tuner in a Port that has several music services at it’s disposal?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Airgetlam digital fm tuner, or better know as hd radio.  And sonos injects random commercials while listening to TuneIn or iheart radio..  and when internet is out (freezeagetion) I could still listen to local stations.  And bit rate is rather low streaming…

@Airgetlam digital fm tuner, or better know as hd radio.

I don't use radio often, but I suspect that every FM station of note is accessible via the Sonos app using Tune In. Or Sonos Radio. In that sense the Sonos app is a digital FM tuner.

Sonos provides a subscription based HD radio service as well. 

There is no chance of this happening.  Add OTA radio to Sonos?  That makes neither commercial or technological sense.  It would complicate the app, add very little useful functionality, and add significantly to cost.  The resulting increase in sales of the Port would be, in my estimation, one unit. (Actually sales would fall, assuming a price increase.)

The sound quality of DAB radio is also questionable, as it depends on local reception quality.

No, no, no.

Further thought. Are there any digital radios with a line out connection? If so that could be used with the Port line in.

A headphone socket would be another possibility but I don't know what the sound quality would be like.

In this day and age are there still any FM stations that don't stream as well, with a URL that Sonos can connect to via the controller app?

And bit rate is rather low streaming…

No it isn’t. Many stream at 320kbps (AAC or MP3). Some even stream in FLAC CD quality.

Further thought. Are there any digital radios with a line out connection? If so that could be used with the Port line in.

Other than the fact that my preference would be for a old style looking radio with knobs and station scales/dials, the quoted is how I would go if I wanted legacy style access to radio.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

No it isn’t. Many stream at 320kbps (AAC or MP3). Some even stream in FLAC CD quality.

HD radio is 320 bit and similar codec ACC, but can be split with other stations.  Channels I listen to are usually 280 or better. 
If I stream these same station they are 80 bps, which is poor. 
name one call sign that streams at 320 bps and one that streams at lossless quality please so I can check it out. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

There is no chance of this happening.  Add OTA radio to Sonos?  That makes neither commercial or technological sense.  It would complicate the app, add very little useful functionality, and add significantly to cost.  The resulting increase in sales of the Port would be, in my estimation, one unit. (Actually sales would fall, assuming a price increase.)

The sound quality of DAB radio is also questionable, as it depends on local reception quality.

No, no, no.

Yes yes yes

makes perfect sense to have a tuner that is controllable thru the app and plays at a much HIGHER QUALITY then streaming.  
I’ve purchased way more sonos equipment then you so I’m sure my opinion means much more to sonos then you!

HD radio is 320 bit and similar codec ACC, but can be split with other stations.  

“Split with other stations”?

name one call sign that streams at 320 bps and one that streams at lossless quality please so I can check it out. 

Radio Paradise, for both.

No, no, no.

Yes yes yes

makes perfect sense to have a tuner that is controllable thru the app and plays at a much HIGHER QUALITY then streaming.  
I’ve purchased way more sonos equipment then you so I’m sure my opinion means much more to sonos then you!

Not according to your profile. John B has been here for quite a time, with a history of involvement with Sonos. You have no idea how much kit has passed through his hands.

A helpful tip: don’t make unfounded ad hominem assertions if you’d like assistance from other users.

I have in fact bought hundreds of Sonos speakers, as I used to be a Sonos independent reseller..

But I don't see how that's relevant. Adding a digital tuner to Sonos is a daft idea. If you had suggested adding a kettle it would have made about as much sense.

Sonos will never add an HD radio tuner, but you can.  The Sony XDR-F1HD was by far the best HD radio tuner ever made, but it was discontinued years ago.  You can pick one up used on eBay for about double the original new price, or a NOS one for MUCH more.

HD radio is pretty much dead in the home market, since everyone has internet access.  It is primarily used in cars these days.

Yes yes yes

makes perfect sense to have a tuner that is controllable thru the app

What am I missing? Does the app already not do radio station selection? What more would the tuner then be needed to do? Or do you want Sonos to also be able to pick up AM/FM broadcasts?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

HD radio is 320 bit and similar codec ACC, but can be split with other stations.  

“Split with other stations”?

Radio Paradise, for both.

Radio paradise is not a radio station, yes it is free and high bit rate.

so try again, all content I want to listen to is 80bps streaming..

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sonos will never add an HD radio tuner, but you can.  The Sony XDR-F1HD was by far the best HD radio tuner ever made, but it was discontinued years ago.  You can pick one up used on eBay for about double the original new price, or a NOS one for MUCH more.

HD radio is pretty much dead in the home market, since everyone has internet access.  It is primarily used in cars these days.

Except that commercial streaming is only at 80bps, that is poor.  but if your happy with that I will not crap on your party.

I picked up a sangean hdt-20 which I will connect to the port…. I’m sure the port will have really good digital to analog converter then be able to stream thru out the house inside and out. 

would be nice to have a integrated app from which to control everything, change stations, volume in rooms etc…

I would like to see sonos expand into building AV receivers or partnering with other companies because I would like a integrated app.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have in fact bought hundreds of Sonos speakers, as I used to be a Sonos independent reseller..

But I don't see how that's relevant. Adding a digital tuner to Sonos is a daft idea. If you had suggested adding a kettle it would have made about as much sense.

I see sonos does sell direct to independent installers/retailers, with warranty.  Most manufactures don’t do that.  There are a lot of people selling stuff on Amazon that will not have a warranty..

I was referring to sonos products currently owned. 

Radio paradise is not a radio station

Nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Paradise

Radio Paradise is a non-commercial listener-supported Internet radio station

so try again

Okay. Try SomaFM. Streams are available in a wide range of bitrates, up to 320k.

Oh, and just to confirm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SomaFM

SomaFM is an independent Internet-only streaming multi-channel radio station

all content I want to listen to is 80bps streaming..

If such stations don’t wish to invest in additional bandwidth does that say something about their quality?

Except that commercial streaming is only at 80bps

Surely an unfounded generalisation. Have you actually measured a representative sample?

FWIW if you can locate URLs for higher bitrates on the stations of interest, you’re perfectly at liberty to add them to the ‘My Radio Stations’ container under the TuneIn menu. Playing user-specified URLs also avoids any pre-roll ads from TuneIn. Despite being listed under the TuneIn menu they’re stored in the Sonos system and don’t actually involve TuneIn.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I know I’m late to the party but found this because I was looking for FM options on Sonos. My use case is that the local sports radio is play by play over the air during baseball games but it’s blacked out for the digital version. The station plays something completely different in my assumption to encourage paying for the MLB subscription. I’m looking for a FM tuner to connect to Sonos to bypass this extra subscription payment. 

Any analog tuner will play through a SONOS Line-In. Line-In is available on PORT, FIVE, AMP and a few older units.

You may have an old stereo receiver hidden away.