playbase worth it? heavily discounted

• 2 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
  • Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Noticed That a local retailer has the playbase open box for 200.00 or new 286.00 (USD).  I know that this is a discontinued item, and nowhere near the Arc, but the price seems right, I already have a pair of Play 1s in my living room.  Think I could get a few years of enjoyment out of it and would it add any additional dimension to music if paired up with the play 1s.  It would easily accommodate  my current setup both physically and astetically fit my  Any thoughtsappreciated...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Yes. It still runs S2, and would be an excellent speaker to sit under your TV set. I’d recommend setting up the PLAY:1s as surrounds, bonding them to the PLAYBASE, and I suspect you’d be very happy.

However, if your plan is just for music, I might suggest that it’s not where I’d invest. Only if you’re planning on feeding it a TV signal.  For music, I’d go with a couple of Sonos Fives, or even just a SUB to add to your current PLAY:1s

Userlevel 2

Thanks, I guess 80% of my listening is music and only 20% Television. Like you mentioned, the sub or 5s would probably suit me better in the long run,  but just so tempting at that price for another piece of gear.  I have eyed up the 5s, but as a pair, they are out of my budget at the moment, and I feel 1 would not cut it, because I would be constantly thinking I could improve it with the 2nd 5 to pair it with.  Decisions,  decisions,  decisions....lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What price could you sell it for? Buy it, try it, keep or sell it. 

Been using my Playbase and pair of Play 1s for a long while.  Works great for Music or TV, but my ears are 75 years old so my musical discrimination is not as good as it used to be, but the sound is as good as I need it to be.

Userlevel 2

My musical discrimination at 55 is also not there, throw in Unilateral Hearing Loss from birth and I basically only hear lyrics and vocals out of one ear,  but that one good ear seems to be super critical and selective on what sounds and frequency it enjoys.  Think I'll give the open box a test for 200.00, I got 15 days to return it for a full refund.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Really like my Playbase. Tried a bean but it was nowhere near as good. The bass is so good that a sub is not Twitter in my room. I have a couple of IKEA speakers as surrounds and it’sa great set up. 

Try it, they still attract a good serving hand value. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks for all the advice.  I pulled the trigger on the open box for 199.00 (USD).  Much to my surprise, when I unwrapped the white foam protective cover, It still had the factory shrink wrap around it.  It appeared that someone opened the box, but never used the unit.  Cables were also in a never opened state.  I think someone bought it, couldn’t use it because of its size and returned it.

I was sort of shocked at the weight and size, It is more of a piece of furniture than a soundbar.  I can easily see where this would be of turnoff to anyone with a wall hung TV and no stand.  For my setup, It fit perfectly on my stand and the dog legs of the tv sat just fine on top of it.  

After updating it and giving it an initial listening, I was somewhat disappointed, It didn’t get very loud and seemed no better than my built in TV speakers.  I noticed it was getting a PCM stereo signal, as soon as switched the Tivo (yea still have one of those) to Dolby, My opinion improved, It got louder than I would ever need, and made an improvement to the overall sound quality from the TV.   I still wasn’t sold, that is until I paired the Play Ones for surround.  After those were paired, the game changed, it really brought the TV to life and I smiled because I felt it was 200.00 bucks well spent.

Currently I am listening to music the way I most enjoy, at a low level (full range mode}(while the rest of the house sleeps) and it seems crisp and clear, filling the room a bit more than just the pair of play ones.  A subtle improvement in bass also, but no substitute for a dedicated sub.

All in all, I think this purchase saved me money, I currently am quite satisfied and don’t feel the need to chase 5’s and a sub to take it to the next level.

Take care and Thanks All

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Have you run Trueplay.  it make a big improvement to the Playbase sound.