Question

playbase vs Arc, worth the upgrade?

• 30 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 34 replies

I have a playbase in a 5.1 setup with two play: 1s for the rear channels and a sub.  I love the setup EXCEPT for the terrible lack of separation on the front left & right channels.  

Can anyone comment on how the Arc performs in this regard?  Most of my content is NOT atmos, just normal DD5.1

I'd upgrade if I thought things that are supposed to be to the left of the screen would sound like they are actually to the left of the screen and not just slightly off center.

If the separation isn't improved I don't see much reason to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No one?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey guys, just got my arc today and tested out. Prior to arc I had playbar in my tv setup and playbase + sub + 2 play 1 in my home theatre setup.

1. Playbar vs arc 
100% arc sound much better than playbar. The sound feels like it has sub in the setup. I am so impressed with it. I can distinguish them sound coming from the middle and from side which I never experienced with my playbar. I haven’t tested with Atmos yet, my Sony 2017 is capable of delivering only Dolby digital plus.

2. Playbase 5.1 vs arc
If I turn off sub and surround, definitely arc sounded much better. I compared a scene from hush movie where she will get hit by the arrow. With arc I can feel the sound coming from left to right. With playbase I don’t feel this effect. 

Playbase with 5.1 setup sound better. But normal voice conversation in any scene is much better in arc. 

Let me know if you want me to compare any scenes. I am blown away by arc so far. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hey guys, just got my arc today and tested out. Prior to arc I had playbar in my tv setup and playbase + sub + 2 play 1 in my home theatre setup.

1. Playbar vs arc 
100% arc sound much better than playbar. The sound feels like it has sub in the setup. I am so impressed with it. I can distinguish them sound coming from the middle and from side which I never experienced with my playbar. I haven’t tested with Atmos yet, my Sony 2017 is capable of delivering only Dolby digital plus.

2. Playbase 5.1 vs arc
If I turn off sub and surround, definitely arc sounded much better. I compared a scene from hush movie where she will get hit by the arrow. With arc I can feel the sound coming from left to right. With playbase I don’t feel this effect. 

Playbase with 5.1 setup sound better. But normal voice conversation in any scene is much better in arc. 

Let me know if you want me to compare any scenes. I am blown away by arc so far. 

Good to hear.

Mine should be arriving soon, to replace my Yamaha ysp2700, after reading a lot of the comments on here about the sound Im still a little worried.

I have not got the sub yet, as I wanted to see what the ARC is like on it’s own first, so I may or may not get the sub.

I will post my thoughts in the next week or so once its all set up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Arc setup, early days and not tested much out but Im very impressed, I didn't notice any tinny or harsh sound, like mentioned on the big thread.

I may tweak the EQ as I get used to the sound, but from what I have tried the soundstage is great, its punchy and warm sounding to me.

I came from a yamaha ysp2700 which in itself is a quality soundbar, so I know a decent sounding one when I hear one and the ARC is great!

I used an iPhone SE (2016 model) to set up trueplay.

Unsure on what loudness setting should be set to, its on by default.