Question

Playbase or Amp with One surrounds for Music and TV

• 13 December 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi, I've been thinking about moving away from Google Home and Chromecast devices for a while as they've been unreliable for Multiroom audio. I bought a Beam and 2 x One's to get my head around how everything works and try a few configurations.

I had initially planned to buy a Sonos Amp and speakers and a pair of One's for my living room but after testing the Beam in the Living room I've been very impressed. The Beam plus One's for music is pretty good and for TV is as good as I need. This has made me think that a Playbase with the 2 One's may be good enough for the Living room and with the current discounts would be under half the price of the Amp plus decent speakers. 

Can anyone comment on how much better the Playbase with be over the Beam and how much better than that for music an Amp plus say B&W 607 or Dali Oberon 1 speakers might be.

I'm never going to add a Sonos sub but I do have a nice small sealed 8" sub which I could use with the Amp if it would help as the speakers cannot be very large.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mro53

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. Let me share the following information.

Playbase - Full-theater sound and music streaming for TVs on stands and furniture; Slim tabletop design practically disappears under your TV; Has Ten Class-D digital amplifiers; Ten amplified speaker drivers, six midrange and three tweeters, and one woofer.
Beam - The smart, compact soundbar for your TV; Play anything - music, TV, movies, podcasts, radio, audiobooks, and video games. Has Five Class-D digital amplifiers; Four full-range woofers ensure you’ll hear the faithful playback of mid-range vocal frequencies plus deep, rich bass; One tweeter creates a crisp and clear high-frequency response; Has a microphone and Integrated voice control.
Amp - Features a built-in state-of-the-art digital amplifier that can power large or small speakers so you can enjoy superior audio in any room; Power your bookshelf, floor-standing, in-wall, and in-ceiling speakers; Connect to your TV to create the ultimate entertainment system; Stream everything you love with the Sonos app and AirPlay.

The audio will affect the placement of your soundbars but you can tune your Sonos speakers with Trueplay. Trueplay measures how sound reflects off walls, furnishings, and other surfaces in a room, then fine-tunes your Sonos speaker to make sure it sounds great no matter where you've placed it. You can also adjust the balance and loudness of your speakers in the Sonos app.

We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide their opinion about this. You can also reach out to our sales team through phone or email where you can send the image and your floor plan for assessment and to provide you the best option. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, I'll be glad to assist you.