Answered

Playbar + Play:1 rears + 3rd party Subwoofer

• 23 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi all, 

I’ve got a playbar, sub (gen 2), and two play:1’s as the rear surrounds in my downstairs family room. I have a 3rd party sub (Hsu Research VTF-2) that I haven’t used in ages since I “upgraded” to a sonos system. I’ve since then gotten an arc in my upstairs entertainment area. I’m thinking of either 1) adding the 3rd party sub to the arc, or 2) moving the sub to pair with the arc and adding the 3rd party sub to the playbar/play:1 combo. Anybody with experience doing this? What equipment would I need? Amp? Connect? I had thought about selling the 3rd party sub but figured that I could make use of it in one of the two rooms! Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 23 January 2021, 10:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It's not possible to use a third party sub with a PlayBar or Arc.

Thanks. I guess I was under the impression that the amp would allow me to just connect the sub to the system...but I guess not. So I guess a better question would be, how to integrate a 3rd party sub into the sonos system? Sounds like it can’t do it, unless I use my passive non sonos speakers as well into another listening environment (sonos amp + 2 passive non sonos speakers, 3rd party sub)

A third party subwoofer can be used with a Sonos Amp + passive speakers, as you suggest, although not if the Amp is being used to drive rear surround.

You could also use a third party subwoofer with a a third party amp (if the amp has a subwoofer out port) and bring this into the Sonos system using a Port.  However, this would be suitable for music, but not TV.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello,

If you have an unused Connect:amp, you can connect it a 3rd party Sub. Then, you play together (like 2 rooms) Playbar and Connect:amp.

Of course both should be S1 or S2 (connect amp gen 2).

However, the CONNECT:AMP (and any sub that it is feeding) will be 75ms behind anyTV information playing on the PLAYBAR.

When streaming music to both devices, they’ll be in sync. The delay only occurs on the TV input.