Question

Playbar good sound with sitting on furniture?

• 17 November 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, looking to purchase either the playbar or playbase. Leaning toward playbar as my TV is hung higher above a cabinet. I'd rather just set it on the cabinet and not hang, but concerned from an article (below) that sound is not optimal if just set down an not hung. Recommendations? https://www.whathifi.com/features/sonos-playbar-vs-sonos-playbase-which-better

Thanks!
Douglas

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
the playbar does sound better in a "hung" position but it doesn't have to be mounted to the wall for that position. I raised my tv to accommodate the playbar in the "hung" position but placed on the media stand, and the sound is significantly better.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Good to know, thanks for the reply. Suppose Given this and knowing I have plenty of space on the cabinet for the playbase, would you go with that? I personally have not heard the difference, just going off what I read out there. Not entirely opposed to mounting it, but just weighing options
Userlevel 1
Badge
I haven't heard the difference either, as I own the playbar. From what I've read the playbase and playbar are very similar in performance. For me, the playbar seems more versatile (in positioning), so IMO, that's the best option.
Just make sure your TV will do passthrough dolby 5.1 (if you plan on having a surround sound system), otherwise, neither one is your best option. For me, Netflix (which has plenty of 5.1 dolby content) and Sonos are a match made in heaven.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
thanks! Not certain if mt TV will pass through 5.1, but want to keep it simple and not too interested (at least for now) setting up with additional speakers while still aiming to have great full sound. Do have a 3 & a 1 in different rooms and love them. You say you wouldn't go with either the base or the bar unless going toward 5.1??
Userlevel 1
Badge
No sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. The Playbar is an excellent TV speaker, whether or not you have the surround speakers.
I recommend the Playbar over the Base just because of its mounting versatility. You don't have mounting options with the base. And if they perform similarly (which appears to be the case), I always opt for the versatility.
Userlevel 1
Badge
on a side note, Black Friday may be a great time to purchase a Playbar at a discount!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks! Turning out to be tough to find a deal thus far, but will keep an eye peeled.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Best Buy is showing preview ads with $100 discount off the Playbar next Friday. I'm sure there'll be others. Play 1s at $150 too.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
AMZN had the playbar $100 off today, so picked-up 😃