Question

Play, Play 1 or Play 3

• 26 February 2018
  • 3 replies

I need new speakers, but I do not know which model to choose, my living room is approx. 25 m2. I have a Sonos Playbar and have ordered a Sonos SUB, but should I choose a set of Play, Play 1 or Play 3 as rear speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Presuming you intend to use these as surrounds with the Playbar and Sub

The only speakers that can be used as surrounds are Play:1, Sonos:1, Play:3 and Play 5:Gen 2

The consensus on these boards is that anything more than a Play or Sonos:1 for surrounds is overkill for TV watching and the combination of 1s and the Sub makes for excellent music re-production.

It's what I have and would suggest you go down the same route.

Choice between Sonos and Play:1 is whether you want Alexa voice control
Userlevel 7
I agree with Stuart_W. I believe you'll be very pleased with Sonos!

Food for thought....

I haven't seen this mentioned in the Community and it may not be anything to be concerned about. I have 4 Sonos One's in two stereo pairs that I have lived with since day one of their release. IMO they are fantastic! The only pick I have is that the One's will pick up a random sound and respond as they interpret it as the wake command "Alexa". Not a big issue or deal breaker; but nonetheless it happens.

Therefore, it does cause me to pause to consider if that would be an annoyance in a surround situation? The One's would be in close proximity to the TV and IMO more prone to picking up a sound and misinterpreting it as the wake command; not to mention the occasional actual word "Alexa" being voiced. Of course you can disable the microphone but it defeats the purpose of the Sonos One with Alexa. Even if possible I doubt that changing the wake command would mitigate the occurrence (although it might). Are you listening Sonos and Amazon :?

Bottom-line that may be something you may want to consider when deciding between a pair Play:1's vs. Sonos One's as surrounds. I'm just saying....

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would get the 2 for $350 deal they have now with the Sonos One. Future proof yourself.