Answered

Play:5 instead of Playbar for 5.1 home theater

I'd like to get a 5.1 system but was wondering how well the Play:5 works instead of the Playbar.

Hoping to use the Play:5 as a great music source for other times when not watching movies.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 April 2018, 23:11

Not well, for the purposes that you want. The PLAY:5 does not have the ability to take in and interpret a 5.1 signal, which is only in the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE.

It's a great speaker for music, though.

View original

4 replies

Not well, for the purposes that you want. The PLAY:5 does not have the ability to take in and interpret a 5.1 signal, which is only in the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE.

It's a great speaker for music, though.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
If you want 5.1, you'll want the Playbar (along with the sub and 2x 1 or One). I have this setup in my game room. The space is about 40' x 15' and it fills the entire room when watching movies and listening to music. D5.1 with movies, and the Play 1s switch to stereo automatically when playing from music sources. I was pleasantly surprised at the natural and live quality sound this setup produced.
You could always go crazy and pair a couple of 5's (as rears) with the base.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Wow that would be overkill for surrounds, and also awkward to listen to music because they are sitting behind you.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings