Answered

Play:5 instead of Playbar for 5.1 home theater

• 19 April 2018
  • 4 replies

I'd like to get a 5.1 system but was wondering how well the Play:5 works instead of the Playbar.

Hoping to use the Play:5 as a great music source for other times when not watching movies.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 April 2018, 23:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Not well, for the purposes that you want. The PLAY:5 does not have the ability to take in and interpret a 5.1 signal, which is only in the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE.

It's a great speaker for music, though.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
If you want 5.1, you'll want the Playbar (along with the sub and 2x 1 or One). I have this setup in my game room. The space is about 40' x 15' and it fills the entire room when watching movies and listening to music. D5.1 with movies, and the Play 1s switch to stereo automatically when playing from music sources. I was pleasantly surprised at the natural and live quality sound this setup produced.
You could always go crazy and pair a couple of 5's (as rears) with the base.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Wow that would be overkill for surrounds, and also awkward to listen to music because they are sitting behind you.