Play:5 gen 1 on eBay?

• 1 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Hey everyone,
I’m completely new to Sonos, though I’ve been reading this forum for a while now. I’ve been scouring eBay recently, and have noticed a lot of gen 1 play 5’s for half of what the gen 2 is, some in new condition. I don’t need Alexa(for this area) and I know there would be no warranty, but other than that is there a downside? I would like to purchase two for my living room dining room area (40x17ft). Later on I plan to get a new 5.1 with Alexa for the living room.

Thanks in advance
Jaclyn

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The Play-5’s (gen 1) are fine and I use two myself in the Lounge as a 'stereo pair'. They are not capable of acting as surrounds in a 5.1 Sonos HT setup as they do not have 5ghz radios in them.

They do have a line-in and headphone port.

If you add an Amazon echo device, like an echo Dot, to your home network, they can be voice-controlled to play streaming music sources, like Deezer, Spotify or Amazon Music and if you later go onto purchase a Sonos One Speaker for use nearby, or elsewhere, in the house you can 'group' the Play-5 Speakers together with the 'One' and AirPlay audio to them ALL from local Apple iOS devices.
Hi Jaclyn. A few thoughts, inevitably subjective.
1. gen 1 is a good speaker. It was cheaper than the gen 2 so half the price now for one in perfect condition seems about right.
2. The gen 1 was superseded a few years back, so any pre-owned unit has probably had a fair bit of use.
3. Neither gen 1 or gen 2 has Alexa. Both just need an Echo Dot to add.
4. gen 1 has a headphone socket, gen 2 doesn't.
5. gen 2, IMO, is a considerably better speaker. More powerful, richer, better bass. A new speaker really, rather than a small evolution of the gen 1.
6. gen 2 is Airplay 2 compatible, gen 1 isn't.
7. gen 2 can be used as surrounds but gen 1 cannot

So gen 1 would be a reasonable buy. Personally, I might prefer a single gen 2 now, and save for a second. Others may well think differently.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have two Play 5 Gen 1 and one Gen 2 and both versions work very well. I really like the real buttons on the Gen 1, far easier to use and less aggravation than the always aggravating touch sensors on the Gen 2 Play 5.

I also miss the headphone jack on the Gen 2 unit, it is really nice to be able to plug in a set of headphones for nighttime listening rather than having to buy an extra Connect to get a headphone output.

You have interested me in getting another Gen 1 Play 5, I love cheap and my garage would do nicely with a 5 instead of a 1, so:

1. Shop
2. Convince spouse
3. Find a new home for the garage Play 1.
Well so far I’m not hearing any deal breakers. I didn’t even realize I would be able to use Alexa with them at all. Everything I’ve read about the Alexa/ sonos compilation makes my head hurt lol. It may be a while before I get around to giving that a try.