Play 1 vs One for Amazon HD / Apple lossless ?

• 1 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I subscribed Amazon music, and evaluating Apple Music at the moment.

In my living room I have 2 play:1 + Sub (gen 1) . 

I read a lot about streaming quality , and I wonder if to better use the improved quality of Amazon Hd or Apple lossless and Airplay 2 , the One will work better than the play :1 , or if both will be capped at the same level of bits/hz

Thanks !!

Giovanni 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

hi @Gbfabiani the Sonos One will add AirPlay2 support to your system, which is not supported on Play:1 as discussed in this thread 

I subscribed Amazon music, and evaluating Apple Music at the moment.

In my living room I have 2 play:1 + Sub (gen 1) . 

I read a lot about streaming quality , and I wonder if to better use the improved quality of Amazon Hd or Apple lossless and Airplay 2 , the One will work better than the play :1 , or if both will be capped at the same level of bits/hz

Thanks !!

Giovanni 

Apple Music themselves say the difference to the ears from the higher bits is not heard by most people, except perhaps via very high quality headphones.

The system you have is a high quality one that won't be improved by more bits, but perhaps by replacing it by one that costs more than twice as much - my suggestion therefore is to not chase the bits and get distracted from enjoying what you have today.

PS: Instead of Apple Music, I suggest trying Spotify; both sound the same, but like Amazon Music, Spotify can also be played on Sonos via the Spotify app. Apple Music can only be played via the Apple Music service in the Sonos controller.