Answered

Outdoor TV, wireless HDMI?

• 17 October 2021
  • 1 reply

We have 2 Sonos Outdoor Speakers on our patio that were pre wired by the builder. The speaker wire cable runs inside to our Sonos Amp. I’ve just mounted a television outside, but have no way to run an HDMI cable all the way inside to the Amp. 

What are my options to get my outdoor speakers to play the television sound as well as music through the app? Will any of the available wireless hdmi extenders work?

icon

Best answer by buzz 17 October 2021, 08:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I’m not aware of a wireless HDMI-ARC device. At best this will be a messy arrangement.

If the TV offers a TOSLINK (optical) audio output you could go TV TOSLINK → analog audio converter → wireless analog audio → convert to TOSLINK → SONOS TOSLINK to HDMI-ARC converter → SONOS AMP. In terms of signal flow, lip sync, and operational transparency, this would be the best arrangement

Another, slightly simpler scheme would be to connect the wireless analog output directly to the SONOS AMP, but this will introduce additional lip sync delay.

Yet another scheme would be to install a SONOS PORT near the TV and go TOSLINK → analog → PORT, then Group port with AMP. Operationally this will not be as transparent as the wireless TOSLINK scheme and it will also introduce the additional lip sync delay.

Turning the project inside out you could do all of the source switching and signal routing inside the house and use a wireless HDMI extender connected to the TV. Note that wireless HDMI is often plagued with issues and may not pass through the outer wall of the house.