One Five or Two Ones!?

• 10 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi all, 

I’m looking to fill a living room with quality music sound. What’s better, 1 ‘Five’ or 2 ‘Ones’? 

Thanks for suggestions. 

M

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This a the eternal quandary.  Sorry but the best option is two Five!

Other than that it depends on how important stereo separation is for you.  I like to hear the stereo effect, a play Five whilst being stereo has the L and R speakers very close.  For me I prefer two Ones set at the corners of the room over a single Five.

Also consider your Sonos future.  They tend to multiply in your house when you’re not looking!  Also bear in mind that a Five gives you a line input in case you want to add a turntable at a later date.

Here is the order in pure sound quality that I experienced:-

Five

Two Play 1s

Two Fives

Two Play 1s and a Sub

Two Fives and a Sub

Good luck.

But why get two Fives when you can get eight!!!??? Ha ha. 

Thanks very much. The separation is quite important to me so perhaps best to get two Ones. 

Cheers, M

Hi @mstavros without knowing your budget and the size of your living room, I would recommend to opt for the One SL (if you do not use voice commands). I use a mixture of three One SL’s and one Play:5 but find that the best price/quality is the One SL’s. Finally, you will also have to consider the space a Five takes versus an One. Hope this helps.

Hi @mstavros without knowing your budget and the size of your living room, I would recommend to opt for the One SL (if you do not use voice commands). I use a mixture of three One SL’s and one Play:5 but find that the best price/quality is the One SL’s. Finally, you will also have to consider the space a Five takes versus an One. Hope this helps.

Intriguing suggestion. So the only real difference between the One and the One SL is voice control? I’m never been very impressed with the practical functionality of voice control. It’s a nice gimmick and it works well for very simple things, but most of the time, it’s an annoyance. So you’ve expanded my thinking about this. Thanks very much, Rubio. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I currently have. Turntable going into one five and two ones. If I do the comparison I easily choose two ones. I am waiting for a second five but in answer to you specific question definitely two ones. 

Hi @mstavros without knowing your budget and the size of your living room, I would recommend to opt for the One SL (if you do not use voice commands). I use a mixture of three One SL’s and one Play:5 but find that the best price/quality is the One SL’s. Finally, you will also have to consider the space a Five takes versus an One. Hope this helps.

Intriguing suggestion. So the only real difference between the One and the One SL is voice control? I’m never been very impressed with the practical functionality of voice control. It’s a nice gimmick and it works well for very simple things, but most of the time, it’s an annoyance. So you’ve expanded my thinking about this. Thanks very much, Rubio. 

yes, voice control is the only difference between an One and One SL :yum: