Number and Placement of Ceiling Speakers

• 25 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi all! Hoping to get some recommendations on the number and placement of Sonos ceiling speakers in a new construction home. The image below shows the dimensions (living room is 15’x20’) and likely furniture placement. I’m hoping to use my Sonos Playbar combined with the ceiling speakers in the living room as surrounds. In addition, I’m hoping to fill the room with music that sounds relatively even throughout.

It’s feeling like the right approach is 6 speakers + 2 amps. Of course that gets pricey, and also thinking there might be other options I have not considered.

Hoping to get thoughts / opinions. Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

I think you just need four in-ceiling speakers - two in the kitchen (one above the dining table and one above the island) and two above and slightly behind the sofa that will act as the surround speakers for the Playbar. Then consider adding a Sub to complete the 5.1 home theater setup.

That’s a really good idea. Would I need two amps in that case?

My understanding is that if all 4 speakers were all on a single amp, they would all end up trying to act as the surround speakers for the playbar, but I could have that wrong!

Userlevel 7

Yes, you would need two Amps - one Amp to power the two speakers in the kitchen and one Amp to power the two surround speakers in the den. The Amp for the den speakers will connect wirelessly to the Playbar.

This setup will give you two zones - DEN (Playbar/Amp/In-ceiling speakers) and KITCHEN (Amp/In-ceiling speakers). You can play audio in each of these zones separately or group them together to all play the same music.

That’s very helpful! One last question… do you think this room might be too big to just have one set of ceiling speakers above the sofa for surrounds and to play music, or do you think might be a feasible option?

More exploring that option from a cost perspective. That setup is ~$2,000 less.

Userlevel 7

That’s very helpful! One last question… do you think this room might be too big to just have one set of ceiling speakers above the sofa for surrounds and to play music, or do you think might be a feasible option?

More exploring that option from a cost perspective. That setup is ~$2,000 less.

I think the two in-ceiling speakers should be enough in the den since they will be above the seating area/sofa, and you will also have music playing from the Playbar near the TV wall.

FYI… you can only add two surround speakers in a Sonos home theater setup.