Answered

Newbie advice - new home sonos setup

• 18 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Just bought a new home, they’ve previously had 4 in ceiling Sonos speakers installed. 2 in the living room and 2 in the kitchen which they’ve left. The overall setup from the previous owners was an amp, play bar, sub and ceiling speakers. 

I am now looking at my own setup, incorporating the ceiling speakers and looking for an understanding. 

if I was to replicate the previous system, buying a playbar, sub and amp. Could I wire all of these to one amp? (playbar, sub and four ceiling speakers). Or would I need two amps to power all rooms? To have audio in different rooms I.e. tv audio in the living room, but then different audio in the kitchen I presume another amp would be needed? If I want music to play throughout the ceiling speakers and sub could the tv then play separate? 

thanks in advance  

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 March 2021, 10:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Are the two ceiling speakers in the living room acting as rear surround speakers for the Playbar and Sub?

I believe so. 

is it possible to separate the two so the ceiling speakers only come on for music rather than the TV? Or should I just ignore the kitchen speakers for now and wire the living room up to the amp. I can only afford one amp at the minute. 

Userlevel 7

If the two living room speakers are being used as rear surround speakers for the Playbar, you need an Amp just to power the living room speakers and another Amp to power the two kitchen speakers so you can use each pair separately. But you can ignore the kitchen speakers for now if you can only afford one Amp.

To save some money, you could always get a used Connect:Amp (Gen 2).

Also, the Playbar and Sub can connect wirelessly to the Amp or Connect:Amp.