Answered

New Sonos user - How to integrate existing 3rd party Fronts, center & powered sub

• 6 August 2023
  • 8 replies

I am considering purchasing the Ultimate Immersive set w/Arc but before I pull the trigger, want to see if I can use my existing speakers. If so, what do I need to accomplish this?  Would one Sonos Amp connect to all?

Fronts= Polk audio RTI70 floor standing speakers

Center= Klipsch RC-52 II

Powered Sub= Klipsch R-12SW

If possible, I also have a pair of Definitive AW-6500’s outside that are currently not connected to anything that I would like to connect. Would the Gen2 Sonos connect amp be suitable for these?

A Yamaha RX-V675 receive is currently powering them. I don’t care if I lose the receiver as I intend on Sonos (whatever I get)replacing its functionality for occasional FM Music and Movie watching.

Thanks for any insight into my question.

Victor

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 6 August 2023, 19:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Sonos offers no opportunity for a user to use their own center speaker. You could use a Sonos Amp to drive your own front left and front right, but then would get an interpolated center channel. Using the Amp to power your own front speakers would also keep the line out for a powered Sub active, it’s only when the Amp is put in ‘surround’ mode that the output is turned off. 

The only way to get a center speaker in Sonos is to use one of their sound bars, which has the three channels built in to the one enclosure. 

When using a Sonos Arc for TV Home Theatre - it handles the front center/left/right and height channel audio .. you cannot add other ‘front channel’ speakers to it, but you can ‘bond’ a Sonos Amp and it’s passive speakers to the Arc to output the rear left/right channel TV audio.

Note in such a setup a third-party active Sub cannot be used as part of that setup, only one, or two, Sonos Subs can be added to play the .LFE channel, one of which must be a Sub (gen3) - you also cannot add two Sub-Mini’s to the setup and the ports on the Amp for line-in etc. are disabled when it’s in this configuration.

If you want to use the Polk audio RTI70 floor standing speakers for your front TV speakers then you might want to consider using another Sonos Amp instead of the Sonos Arc, but note you cannot add the Klipsch RC-52 II as the center channel speaker - that is not supported by the Amp, which outputs a pseudo centre channel from the front left/right speakers. The Klipsch R-12SW active sub can be used with the Amp handling the front TV channel audio.

HTH

Peanstein,

Let’s back up a little. Why are you considering replacing your current system? Do you have any other SONOS units?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Any setup with an Arc is some way off an ‘Ultimate Immersive set’.  It's a great bit of kit for sure but true ‘ultimate’ would use separate speakers in each location and allow a fair bit of control over each of them. Sonos allows neither of these.

None of the above is in any way saying a setup with an Arc can't be/isn't great but that doesn't make it ‘ultimate’….

Peanstein,

Let’s back up a little. Why are you considering replacing your current system? Do you have any other SONOS units?

I never setup my current system properly until after I posted this question earlier. 

I found some older bookshelf speakers I had in my basement and used them for surround speakers and completed a 5.1 configuration. 

I have to say, it sounds pretty awesome after I got it tuned to my liking. I'm no audiophile so not sure it's perfect but to both my wife and I, sounds really good. 

I borrowed my neighbor's Sonos ultimate and tried it next to my setup and to be honest, can't justify the $2,500 price tag.

Ican tell with the 300's as surrounds that they do make great sound and out-do my system but other than that, my bass is deeper and harder hitting and the front and center speakers do a very good job with the surround. 

I think I'll buy a pair of 300's or other model and place in my living area to listen to when cooking or hanging out. 

I should have tuned my existing setup correctly once I moved in to my current home 4 yrs ago. 

Thanks for all the input and I learned several things with your help!

Victor

Any setup with an Arc is some way off an ‘Ultimate Immersive set’.  It's a great bit of kit for sure but true ‘ultimate’ would use separate speakers in each location and allow a fair bit of control over each of them. Sonos allows neither of these.

None of the above is in any way saying a setup with an Arc can't be/isn't great but that doesn't make it ‘ultimate’….

Imo, you're spot on with your assessment. The Sonos does sound pretty awesome on its own but I could not tune gains etc like I could with my Yamaha. I can only imagine how much better I could tune it if I had a fancier receiver. 

Now that I've learned a few things for this post, I'd just go the Sonos route if I had nothing to start with.

Thx

Victor 

Be aware that there will be a time offset between SONOS and your receiver. It will not be possible to precisely synchronize output from the two systems. This is no big deal unless you are able to simultaneously hear both systems.

YAMAHA has its MusicCast system that offers similar multi-room features. Your current receiver is not on the MusicCast compatibility list. I think that you would enjoy the Aventage serIes.

Be aware that there will be a time offset between SONOS and your receiver. It will not be possible to precisely synchronize output from the two systems. This is no big deal unless you are able to simultaneously hear both systems.

YAMAHA has its MusicCast system that offers similar multi-room features. Your current receiver is not on the MusicCast compatibility list. I think that you would enjoy the Aventage serIes.

Hey Buzz,

Thx for the info. I looked into their comparability list and think the Musiccast feature will fit the bill! 

I'm currently on the hunt for on of their newer systems like the TSR-700, or Av-4/6A (or similar)

Next will be a couple of the musiccast speakers. 

Now that I've setup my HTS with surrounds and tuned it properly, im pleasantly surprised with how good it all sounds. Yes, it lacks the Atmos sound but my ears are easily 😀

Thank you all for your input.