New Setup

• 30 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello Community,

I need help! I currently have a Sonos playbase which we absolutely love. Our house has 2 X YAMAHA 6" IN-CEILING SPEAKERS PAIR - NS-IC600 in the living room and outdoor alfresco. 

I want to buy an amp to start using the speakers but have no idea where to start. Do I need to buy a Sonos amp to connect the playbase and will the Yamaha speakers be compatible with it.

I'm also not sure how I split the audio between the areas... Would you need a seperate amp for each space is there some form of splitter?

Any help would be much appreciated! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I assume that the NS-IC600’s are in another area from PLAYBASE. If you add a SONOS AMP, it will become a second “Room” in your SONOS system. Connect the NS-IC600’s to AMP. You cam play music in any combination of SONOS Rooms. TV will play through PLAYBASE as it has been. You can also play TV audio in the NS-IC600 Room, but you should be aware that there will be a slight time offset from the TV audio. This is not usually an issue unless the two areas can be heard simultaneously.

AMP will need some sort of network connection. This could be wired Ethernet, WiFi, or SonosNet. SonosNet is a private wireless network that SONOS establishes if one or more players is wired to Ethernet.

I mention the time offset because it would not be appropriate to use PLAYBASE at one end of a large open space and the NS-IC600’s at the other end of that space, but it would be OK to use the NS-IC600’s in a separate Den or Office, for example.

Another approach would be to use the AMP and NS-IC600’s as surround speakers. IN this case that would only be one SONOS Room.