new setup

• 3 January 2022
  • 6 replies

I’m having 4 sonos sonance ceiling speakers installed in my living on the Sonos amp and gen 3 sub? Can I also add an arc and they all play together? I assume so. Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes, all Sonos devices can be ‘grouped’ for music purposes. 

Note that things are different if you instead choose to make the Sonos Amp and connected speakers function as ‘surround’ speakers. Then it gets more complicated. 

So 4 speakers connected to amp. Then arc and gen as well. Thoughts? 

With this setup you would use ARC and SUB for TV and AMP for music. Don’t try to use AMP while watching TV. On the SONOS controller there would be two ‘Rooms’ that could be named “TV” and “Music”. You gould Group the two Rooms while playing music.

If you configure the system as surround sound, don’t connect the two front ceiling speakers. The two rear speakers would be connected to AMP. In this configuration there would be only one Room.

I’ve been seeing videos of people using the amp for surround sound in their theater with architectural speakers. Some just use two in the rear. So confused by several suggestions and videos. I appreciate your help. I’m having installing the 28th so want to be clear on what I expect and what’s ideal. 

One Amp can not control both front and surround speakers. To drive the front two speakers, and create the interpolated center channel, you’d need one Amp to drive that pair of speakers. If a Sonos sub is desired, it would bond to that front Amp. A second Amp would be needed to drive the surround/ rear pair of speakers. 

Or, you could use a Sonos soundbar in the front, either the Beam, or an Arc, and use one Amp that would be ‘bonded’ in the Sonos software, to drive the surrounds/rear speakers. As suggested by buzz, you could then use a second Amp to drive the front in ceiling speakers as a separate ‘room/zone’ in the Sonos software for music purposes.

Thanks. I’m going to use the amp for rears and the other speakers I’ll place in the kitchen on switcher so I can turn them off if necessary. I’ll get a gen 3 sub and arc for upfront and I should be good to go.  Thanks