Answered

is the playbase still worth it?

• 4 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

hi,

i was offered a new playbase for the same price as a new beam.

is it still worth it, or it will stop receiving updates preety soon?

i mostly listen to music so might eventually try go for the five too, but the playbase seemed to be at a good price opportunity. i have a projector not a telly.

im mostly concerned on the expiration of the base, and how good it is for music vs 1 five.

any thoughts?

thanks!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 4 July 2021, 06:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Although $400 is a pretty good price for a new Playbase, if you primarily listen to music, I would spend the extra $100 on a Sonos Five. The Five is Sonos’ best-sounding speaker for music. The Playbase is designed more for TV/movie watching.

Regarding the “expiration” of the Playbase, Sonos has said it’s committed to providing software updates for a minimum of five years after a product has been discontinued.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The lack of a wide sound stage is the biggest musical limitation of both the Beam and the Playbase, IMHO. But the 10 amps and speakers in the Playbase do sound good! If music is your biggest criteria get a Five and add a second one ASAP. That said, a pair of Ones is also in your budget, giving you great stereo musical sound from the get go. But, with no way of linking the Onesto your projector, whilst the Five has line in and the Playbase takes an optical input. 

Userlevel 2

hi guys!  thanks for the quick respone.

i forgot to mention i currently use for music a vintage pioneer hi-fi, thats conected to a turntable and to an airport express.  so i dont know how much the fives would improve over that.

living in argentina (things here tend to cos twice as in the states) sems a pitty not to take advantage of that price.

will have to try to listen to them both