Answered

Inexpensive IR Remote for Amp?

• 24 March 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi, 

I just purchased an Amp and I would love to use a remote with it to control volume from afar when my phone isn’t around.

I’ve seen several topics about this on here but several folks are suggesting a $100 universal remote which I find very expensive given that all I want to do is control the volume + up and - down. That’s it. I won’t be using the Amp to control a TV setup, just streaming and vinyl. 

Does anyone have any relatively inexpensive IR remotes that are compatible with the Amp? 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 25 March 2022, 00:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Consider this controller/hub from IKEA. It works with all Sonos devices:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-tradfri-gateway-kit-sound-white-white-s49319167/

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you! Does that remote also require another piece from the IKEA collection? I seem to remember that in order to use the volume controller/hub, you have to get some kind of wifi bridge thing from them too. Maybe I got that wrong though.

Userlevel 7

I’m pretty sure you just need the controller and hub. Here is a good video about it:

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ahhh I see. You get both of them together. Sweet, thank you.

If anyone else has any other remote suggestions, let me know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Won’t just any inexpensive ir remote do?

An old cable box remote that you have in a drawer somewhere?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Right, I thought that any IR remote would do. I’ve tried the Integra RC477S remote from my receiver which seems to pass IR remote test on the Sonos website, but nothing seems to happen. 

Right, I thought that any IR remote would do. I’ve tried the Integra RC477S remote from my receiver which seems to pass IR remote test on the Sonos website, but nothing seems to happen. 

What happens during the remote setup process in the Sonos App - is the requested button press not registering? Is the IR receiver toggle option in the Amp room settings set to ‘ON’? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Amazing! This solved my problem. I was previously under the impression that you could simply point any IR remote voila, it would work. Didn’t know I had to set it up through the app. I went through the TV remote setup and everything went smoothly.

The Integra remote is working fabulously now. I feel like a dummy, but that’s what the community is for. Hopefully this will be helpful for someone else because I couldn’t find such a simple answer after combing Google for info on it. Thank you! 😁