Improve Sonos Arc for music: add Sub or change

• 18 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I was looking for some time for a new setup in my living room: have a simple system for music (streaming), TV watching, very occasionally movie (typically I watch movies with headphones not to disturb family and neighbours) and later add turntable. My primary choice was KEF LS50 Wireless II, but due to costs and usage simplicity I’ve chosen Sonos Arc to try (I have no other Sonos products, neither planning to get any, at the moment)

And while Arc seems to be good for TV, and obviously movies sound much better, I am bit disappointed in its music performance. I am not audiophile by no means (just know good sound a bit), but to me music sounds very “uninspiring”, especially on low volumes. 

So the choices I am looking at the moment:

1. Add Sub to Arc - I’ve read that music performance improves, specifically on low volumes, but I presume it will not do miracles (i.e. proper stereo). Also, in order to connect turntable, I would need to buy Port, which would increase the price closer to KEFs
  2. Exchange Arc to 2 Fives on stands - I presume music will improve significantly, but I not sure how would I connect TV in a proper way (optical?), either will it do any good for TV watching.
  3. Drop an idea with Sonos and buy KEF’s
  4. Any other suggestions?

I know, that perhaps with Arc I was looking into wrong direction for music, so could be my biggest mistake. However, I just wonder if I somehow can “rescue” it, or just bite the bullet and choose something more “audiophile” like KEF, even if for more money.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

The Arc is not known to be a great music speaker. It really excels when playing TV/movie audio. Adding a Sub and a pair of surround speakers (like the One SLs) to the Arc will definitely improve the overall audio performance, but it may not be enough for you to be satisfied. Although with this setup, it does sound pretty great when playing Dolby Atmos music or lossless 5.1 music from Blu-ray discs which you won’t be able to get from a pair of KEF speakers.

A pair of Fives is probably considered to be Sonos’ best-sounding setup for music, but they aren’t designed to be connected to a TV. But you can add a turntable to this setup.

You might be better off going with a traditional AV receiver and the KEF speakers. This gives you the ability to use them as music speakers, connect them to your TV, and add a turntable later.

Thanks for a reply! Just to be clear, I am not expecting setup being perfect, perhaps “just” improved. Surely, “standard” setup with pair of speaker and receiver would be an option, but for simplicity reasons perhaps the last option - too many cables then ( and one more thing for dust collection , according to some people in my house :smiley: ). 

In the meantime, I’ve seen many youtube video on how Sub alone improves Arc sound, however all them them concentrate on TV/movie watching, and not music. I could try to order and test it, but then would need to find a shop with a very good return policy, otherwise, might be an expensive “experiment”… Decisions, decisions, decisions...