Question

How to get audio in a Projector + Sonos Amp setup.

• 1 May 2020
  • 1 reply

I'm working on an outdoor projector/speaker setup.  I currently have the following:

• A projector which has an HDMI input, but no high quality audio output. 
  • A Sonos Amp wired to outdoor speakers.
  • An iPad that has a lightning to HDMI output connector.

I’m trying to figure out if I can use an HDMI splitter to send the video signal via one HDMI cable to the projector and the audio signal via another HDMI cable to the Sonos Amp HDMI Arc input. Will the HDMI Arc input accept sound via an HDMI cable in this manner?  Or do I have to get an HDMI splitter with optical output and then connect an optical cable to the Sonos Optical Audio Adapter which then plugs into the Sonos Amp HDMI Arc input?  Would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

No, HDMI-ARC is not created by the splitter or the iPad. It’s usually created by the TV set, with the electronics inside. I don’t know of any video source devices that create HDMI-ARC, although I suppose it’s possible, just not standard,

Your second idea has more merit, since the splitter in that case is designed to yank the standard audio signal off of HDMI and present it on the optical output.