Answered

How to extract audio (analog or digital) from HDMI feed from TV that feeds Sonos Beam - Revisted

• 12 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Some while ago @countryman came up with an answer to this Question, but the eBay links that pointed to his solution have now expired. Does anyone have the answer?

I have a Samsung TV that currently feeds a Sonos Beam via the HDMI-ARC socket on the TV.  I need to extract the audio from this feed so that I can drive a pair of headphones at the same time as feeding the Beam.  

@countryman solution was as follows. Just need the original values of X and Y

1. Avoid the passive optical splitters.  You get what you pay for.
  2. Buy an active optical splitter such as X . Note that the identical unit on Amazon is about 3x the price of this one !
  3. Buy a simple DAC such as Y
  4. Connect up the Samsung to the IN of (2), the Sonos Beam to one of the (OUT) and the DAC to another (OUT)
  5. Job done.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 13 October 2022, 12:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @shiplake 

Thanks for your post!

From the links on that post, I was able to get the following product titles:

• SPDIF Toslink Digital Optical Audio Splitter Fiber with Optical Cable
  • Digital DAC Optical Toslink SPDIF Coax to Analog L R RCA Audio Adapter Converter

All I can recommend is doing a couple of Google/Amazon searches with those titles.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. I tried this and although this solution kind of works, I found that volume control of the sound bar has to be done via the Sonos App.

My current solution is to connect an Avantree Oasis Plus to the optical output from my Humax Freesat recorder. I can watch most stuff from there, and the Humax continues to drive the TV ok