Question

Home theater setup help

• 16 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi Everyone,

(Sorry for multiple questions, I am still learning about the Sonos & home theater systems in general)

We recently moved into a new house and the house has been pre-wired for some ceiling speakers. However the ceiling speakers in the living room are right above where we are putting our couch(against the wall). Could these work for surround setup or will it not be as good and we should consider these for atmos down the line.

If its decent for rear surround speakers, can I get a Sonos arc or player base and Sonos amp + 2 sonance ceiling speakers to work as rear surround? would a Sonos subwoofer make a diff in this setup?

Also we do have couple of other rooms pre-wired for ceiling speakers, can I connect 2 other speakers to the same amp and configure it as such 

1st zone to be Sonos arc + 2 ceiling speakers

2nd zone to be 2 ceiling speakers in other room

and then switch zones using the app to play music in different rooms. From what I understand, if this is possible then this won’t allow me to play different music or audio source in 2 zones and later on, if I want to achieve that, I can add another Sonos amp and have completely separate zone’s.

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Each SONOS unit is known as a “Room”. A given Room (Zone) can only play one source at a time. Each Room can simultaneously play a different program or any combination of Rooms can be “Grouped” to play the same music. Grouped Rooms will be time aligned when playing music tracks.

My preference is to have the surround speakers behind the listening position. In any case if the speakers are too close to the listener, one speaker will dominate unless the listener is perfectly centered between the speakers.

I recommend SUB and it will add a new dimension. In a reasonably sized room you’ll be able to achieve levels that would be typical in an iMAX theater. (but you will not have quite as many speakers).