Answered

Home Theater Set-Up Recommendation for New Home

• 20 January 2021
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Hi, I'm designing a home theater in a recessed TV cabinet above a gas fireplace for a new home and considering a Sonos set-up:

Closed Cabinet

Open Cabinet

What Sonos equipment should I get if I want a system like the one described below? Would you recommend a better/ different set-up? Any wiring recommendations?

Inside tv cabinet (behind operable pocket doors):

- 65" TV (optimal for viewing angle/ size of room)
- Sound Bar (can this be above TV to allow for a better viewing angle?)
- Any receivers/amps, playstation, etc. 

In a low cabinet to the right of fireplace with slats and padded door to avoid reverberation: 

- Subwoofer (does Sonos make a wall-mount subwoofer?)

Built into ceiling:

- 2 rear surround ceiling speakers 

Thank you!!!

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 20 January 2021, 05:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Can you provide a birds eye view with intended seating. Actual floor plan with measurements would be best. Looks like a small space from the pictures.

Yes, the room is small: roughly 13’x13’ (18’ deep if you go to the rear wall). See attached image with speaker locations in blue. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7

HI @RNDA 

Thanks for the diagram.

1. You could use a Beam or Arc on the shelf below the TV. An Arc with its sleek design would go quite well IMO with the modernist decor. You might even mount a Beam inside the cabinet below the TV. Mounting Arc inside the cabinet might negate its upward and side firing speaker array. Under no circumstances is it recommended to mount a soundbar above a TV. Click this link for more info on mounting a soundbar. Both the Beam and Arc support your choice of Alexa or Google voice assistant. 
  2. Padding an enclosure for a sub is not recommended as a sub depends upon reflective surfaces to reverberate its low frequencies. Sonos subs are designed not to vibrate.  Sonos subs IMO are aesthetically pleasing. A cabinet will hide its beauty.
  3. You might consider Sonos One SL speakers (x2) for surrounds. 

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Thanks @AjTrek1 !

Would this system require any sort of receiver? Do you know if I still need to run wiring or is everything wireless? 

We plan on hiding the bar in the cabinet so we will go with the beam. The idea is to have an appearance of only art when the cabinet is closed. 

Is there only one Sonos sub? I like that it doesn’t look like a speaker, would it be ok to place in the same location but in an open shelf? I’m guessing subs should be close to the ground and not higher up in the TV cabinet. 

Thank you! 

Userlevel 7

Hi @RNDA 

No receiver is required for a Sonos system. Sonos is a home theater setup in your configuration but is also a music streaming system over internet or via AirPlay2 from your iOS or Android device. Click this link to learn more.

All speakers require an electrical outlet (therefore plan appropriately).  FYI, you might consider placing electrical outlets on each shelf level to the left of the TV cavity, more on why later. The Beam will require connection to your TV via its included HDMI cable. The Sonos sub and surrounds communicate with the Beam wirelessly.

There is only one Sonos sub. Subs are best at ground level next to a wall or in a corner. However, placement in the cavity you planned would not be a major concern as long as it’s not padded (also the sub opening (design) should be facing the open area). 

As the Sonos system can be used for music you might consider this design change…..

Rather than having to open the TV cavity to enjoy music you might consider a cavity for the Beam below the TV cabinet.  The cavity would be deep enough to accommodate electrical as well as a connection to the TV (via HDMI cable) and still allow the Beam to be flush or slightly recessed, so as not to extend over it’s shelf.

Regarding electrical in the shelves I mentioned….

The Sonos system can support a Turntable or CD player. The only additional component required (in your case) is a Sonos Port to allow those devices to communicate wirelessly with your home theater (Beam, sub and surrounds). The aforementioned not withstanding adding electrical may be a good idea for futures.

Note: Sonos does require a good internet connection and good wi-fi over 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz is required to allow the Beam to communicate with sub and surrounds.  If wi-fi is spotty or if you are using a Mesh Wi-Fi setup you can wire a speaker directly to your router to create the SonosNet. Obviously, wiring a speaker to your router is not an option (as only the Beam would qualify). That said you can invest in a Sonos Boost module ($99_USD) to create the SonosNet wired to your router. 

I hope this answers your questions. Cheers!

Thanks for all the information, it’s very helpful!