Answered

home cinema and ceiling speakers

• 25 December 2021
  • 4 replies

hi everyone looking for some advice.

I am setting up a home cinema system. I have an Arc and a sub and I want to add two rear speakers.

Due to the config of the room I cant add wall or free standing rear speakers only ceiling speakers (with a Sonos amp).

In another part of the kitchen / diner  I would like to install another 2 ceiling speakers.

My questions …. 

1 are the ceiling speakers a reasonable solution for my rear speakers / work well  for the home cinema ?

2 Can I play DAB radio through the Arc to come out of the two ceiling speakers (or does sound come out of all the speakers ?)

3 Lastly can I stream music  ONLY through the ceiling speakers .

thankyou 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 25 December 2021, 15:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

1. Many Sonos users use in-ceiling speakers as surrounds and are happy with them. Although others prefer having the surround speakers placed closer to ear level.

2. If you have surround speakers bonded with the Arc, when you play audio, it will play out of all of the speakers (Arc/Sub/Amp).

3. If you want music to only play out of the in-ceiling speakers, they need to be unbonded from the Arc first.

You can stream music only to the Amp/in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen because it will be a separate room/zone than the Arc/Sub/Amp setup.

Hi just about to build an extension and bought the amp and 2 pairs of the new ceiling speakers,my room will be nearly 200 square feet with vaulted ceiling velux windows will the 2 pairs be enough in this size room running of my amp?

Hi just about to build an extension and bought the amp and 2 pairs of the new ceiling speakers,my room will be nearly 200 square feet with vaulted ceiling velux windows will the 2 pairs be enough in this size room running of my amp?

I’m not a fan of speakers in ‘vaulted’ ceilings, but four speakers sound about right for the size of space mentioned .. I did find this information in one of the Sonance Architectural documents, which is for normal ceilings, but shows coverage at different heights, that may ‘slightly’ assist in your decision too…

Thanks for your reply,i did presume 1 pair wouldn’t be enough so went for 2 pair to cover the area thanks