Question

Help needed with Sonos Connect Amp and Ceiling Speakers

• 22 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi Sonos Experts,

We are extending our home and thought while we were at it, we would put in some ceiling speakers. The set up is as follows:
Family Bathroom - 1 speaker
Gym/Study Room - 1 speaker
Dressing Room - 1 speaker
Ensuite - 1 speaker
Kitchen - 2 speakers.

I have purchased 2 Connect Amps, but have not yet bought the ceiling speakers. I wanted to connect the top 4 speakers to one amp and the kitchen speakers to the other amp. I am aware that the music will play the same on all speakers connected to the same amp.

My question is....Can this be done? I went into Richer Sounds and the chap there said that I cannot have 4 speakers on one amp....although I thought I could. He said I would need another machine and started talking about parallel....and then I was lost!!!

What do you guys say???

Thank you very much for reading 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, Mel.

Yes, you can set up 4 speakers to the CONNECT:AMP. The person at Richer Audio was likely talking about parallel wiring of the speakers. The linked article should walk you through the process without a problem.

Should you run into an issue. Feel free to reach back out. We are happy to help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Question becomes what kind of speakers are you talking about. You can connect 4 single channel 8 ohm speakers to a Connect:Amp.

Since your putting one speaker in each room I would consider a Stereo Speaker (where each speaker is a left and right). That means 4 wires from each speaker and probably then only 2 Speakers per Connect:Amp.

Therefore I would go with 3 Connect:Amps and Stereo Speakers (except in Kitchen where you can do a right and left speaker). So 3 zones.

My question is....Can this be done? I went into Richer Sounds and the chap there said that I cannot have 4 speakers on one amp....although I thought I could. He said I would need another machine and started talking about parallel....and then I was lost!!!

The word "machine" is overdoing it; he is probably referring to a little switch that does not need mains power, will accept the input from the Connect Amp speakers on one side and provide outputs for two or more speaker pairs on the other side. It will allow for the Connect Amp to drive more speaker pairs than without the switch, albeit at lower maximum volumes because there are no free lunches. You can also get these with volume controls that allow each pair to run at different volumes, not otherwise possible if driven by just one Connect Amp.
An example, for 2 speaker pairs: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C99DW8/ref=psdc_172546_t2_B007N43T5Y
Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies.

Yes I would be getting 4 stereo speakers - each one being 8 ohm. So if I have understood this correctly then that means I cannot put those 4 speakers on one connect amp???