Have 5.1.replacing with two Play 5s + Sub + what else for dance/music room?

• 4 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here. Looking for suggestion. Let me tell you my current configuration and what I want to do.

Current Configuration:
Room size: 23x18 w/ 10 ft ceiling. The room is open and has another 15x10 ft of bar area.
System: 5.1 integrated in Control4. Have an Episode Soundbar (L/C/R), a Polk sub and two in-ceiling surround speakers driven by Onkyo NR616 receiver.
Use: the room has a TV, but is primarily used for music/dance parties. So need rocking/crisp music.

Issue: The sound is harsh at higher volumes for dance parties.

I just bought 2 Play 5s and a Sonos sub and love the sound compared to my current system. Play 5s are currently setup as L and R channels. With no surround integrated, the sound is not immersive with Sonos.

I just ordered Sonos connect to integrate the Onkyo receiver with the two ceiling speakers. But I am open to other ideas.

Should I get a playbar or maybe two more Play 5s or something else? Primary use is music and dance parties, but don’t want to get rid of TV here.

All ideas are welcome. Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds to me though that your not a fan of the in ceiling speakers.

A Playbar and the 2 Play:5s you have and the sonos sub would be able to be paired together and would sound very good. Then you would get your 5.1 sound back too.

going with including the Onkyo - you won't be able to Trueplay setup your whole system.

I would recommend the Playbar over the Beam for most immersive. Or actually the Playbase over the Playbar so you get Airplay.
Thanks Chris. No it is not that I am not a fan of in-ceiling speakers. I have them throughout my home. I just want to see if I should install Connect and power those ceiling speakers to work with Play 5s and sub and basically have a 4.1 system or is there a better solution given that primary use is dance music and secondary use (rare) is TV.

For the intended, it comes down to where $ are better spent - (1) get a Playbar, (2) upgrade the ceiling speakers to to Polk or Kplisch maybe 2-way 8 inches from current Earthquake 6.5 inch ones, (3), get couple of Sonos 1s, (4) get couple of additional Play 5s, (5) etc...etc...

If I get a Playbar, would I have to set the two play 5s as surround? Would that do enough justice to their capabilities? Then do I just not use the ceiling speakers, I guess.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
More Play 5s sounds good to me, add a Sub or two if needed. Not a built-in speaker fan and good ones are overly expensive compared to the Play 5s

You can set the surround speakers to 'full' mode where they get a full stereo feed, in surround mode most folks think 5s are wasted.

The Beam, Base or Bar seem wasted for dance music and I'd not go that way.
Thanks. Would this setup connect to a TV? How do I do that?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
It depends on what your tv supports. Before you get replies that in order to watch tv you have to have a bar/base/beam ‘because that is what is intended and other speaker will ave issues’, I would advice you to see if you can connect the tv to a line in of one of the 5s you already have (e.g. through headphone out) and judge if you like the sound of the two play 5s + sub. For stereo purposes, I think it blows beam out of the water (which is the only comparison I can make based on my own set-ups).

You don’t necessarily have to experience lip sync issues with line in on Play 5, at least I don’t have any. Also grouping with other Sonos (such as additional stereo pair) in uncompressed mode does not cause problems in my set-up. Only downside is, you cannot set-up as surround system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not sure I have this right since I don't do it. One Play 5 will be in sync with your TV picture since it isn't doing any networking. Tow or more Grouped speakers will have sync issues as they have to delay 70 ms for the network transport.

Maybe you could do a line-in to each play 5 and set them to both play from their own line-in sort of a dual version of the first option above. RCA to 3.5 cables are cheap so it is worth a try. Too much monyek motion for me if I want TV I'm using a Sonos designed for TV.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I use two Play 5s in stereo + sub which have no sync issues at all (one of them having the line in connected to the tv, the other one to a turntable). If I group them with a stereo pair of 1s that are close by but facing another part of my open plan (towards the kitchen part instead of the living area) that sounds perfect ( in the kitchen). Everything is set to uncompressed and I don’t hear a delay, even though it might be there, but I don’t think the 70ms apply if set to uncompressed. If I chane to compressed, there is definitely a delay, but already in the stereo pair connected via line in.