Answered

Future of newer products?

• 21 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Not sure if this has been brought up before but looking for a specific answer. I am fairly new to the Sonos system. I only have a Sonos One Gen. 2 but I plan on adding at least one more One, Move, and Maybe a Play 5.

Before buying I was reading about the legacy products support and made me think what would the estimated life span be for these speakers especially the One G2. I am hoping for at least 8-10years if ever.

I know it’s a long time to think about but a little reassurance before spending over $1000 would be nice.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 December 2020, 19:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi I would like to know how do I Turn off the sonos set because I always have to 

Unplug them Can you tell me I f there is a other way too turn them off 

T b and you

Hi I would like to know how do I Turn off the sonos set because I always have to 

Unplug them Can you tell me I f there is a other way too turn them off 

T b and you

I believe the only way to turn off is by unplugging. Speaker goes into low power mode when not in use.

😒😒😒 okay thank you  👍

Sonos has said that they will support all speakers at a minimum of five years past the date they are available for sale on the Sonos web store. So far, from inception of the company in 2002, they have not stopped supporting any of their speakers, just two ancillary devices, a remote control and an iPod dock.

They have recently split the software path, with one to support older players with limited onboard memory, known as S1, and that software will only be getting security and bug fixes. S2, which runs on all the ‘newer’ devices, will continue to receive bug fixes, security fixes, and new features as they arise.

On the unrelated query, like many appliances, Sonos are not designed to be frequently turned off and on, and have no ‘power’ button. Like most TVs, after a brief amount of time not being used, they enter a low power state, with just enough energy to recognize the ‘wake up’ command from the LAN.

Not sure if this has been brought up before but looking for a specific answer. I am fairly new to the Sonos system. I only have a Sonos One Gen. 2 but I plan on adding at least one more One, Move, and Maybe a Play 5.

Before buying I was reading about the legacy products support and made me think what would the estimated life span be for these speakers especially the One G2. I am hoping for at least 8-10years if ever.

I know it’s a long time to think about but a little reassurance before spending over $1000 would be nice.

Thanks

Sonos guarantee is 5 years of support after a product is no longer sold, but look at history, it’s typically much longer than that.  As well, Sonos doesn’t replace their products all that often, and the One G2 will likely be sold for several more years.   After that point, the speakers would still likely be supportted ‘as is’ without software enhancements.

Sonos speakers are somewhat unique in that the product life is not just dependent on the quality of the hardware, but how quickly technology advances making that hardware obsolete.  That alone wouldn’t as big of concern, but Sons speakers work off one another, and effectively, it’s only as strong as it’s weakest link,