Era 300 vs Five

• 23 January 2024
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 101 replies

Hello To All Of You

I’m planning to get The Era 300 soon for my Arc&dual Gen 3’s home cinema-system…as surrounds. I got the Beam Gen 2,Era 100&Sub Mini in my bedroom and i have the opertunety to purcase two pair of surrounds…BUT…i never heard a pair of Five’s play(or the Era 300). 
So i ask a simple question here. Do i leave my Beam-system as is and add a pair of Five’s in front to use for music or do i purcase two pairs of Era 300 and replace the two pairs of Era 100 in my Arc&Beam-surrounds?. For the Beam-system i only use it for Youtube…so not much of movies.

What does the audience(you guys’n girls) think?

Thanx….

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi folks….

Been a little buizy lately work on my grannys car change parts for an EU-control(MOT i belive it’s called in USA/England)…anyway.

Today i placed the order for……a pair of Era300 and a pair of Five. I did allso came across the Sonos orginal stads for the Era300 and i manage to get a pair of Flexson stands for the Five’s but one in seperate stores…let’s hope they’re the same.

I will probobly have the Five’s in my bedroom cause it’s the place i normally listen to music.

So i’m expecting my speakers next week i guess…and yes i ordered directly from Sonos. They are remarkable FAST in shipping.

Have a Great Weekend🙏

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

#melvimbe

About my setup in my bedroom i think perhaps you misunderstand…Right now i had to put the Era100 on top of a lamp in order to have the speaker a little higher. But this is why i’m gonna replace this with the Ikea Symfonisk Lamp Gen2…i’ll let you see in a picture.

Or i could use $300+ for Sonos Orginal Stands and place them in each corner(the Era100)

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

#melvimbe

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I’m going to have to make an effort to find and listen to some Atmos music.

I’m a big Play 5 / Five fan but the 300s do open up something I’ve not really considered.

I find it interesting to compare stereo and atmos music. For me it’s like with food… different tastes like italian or asian food but both can be great. 😉

Stereo still is my favorite but sometimes it’s a great change to listen to atmos music. But the quality of atmos tracks imho differs a lot. Some tracks sound horrible and others are such a pleasure. 

#melvimbe

About my setup in my bedroom i think perhaps you misunderstand…Right now i had to put the Era100 on top of a lamp in order to have the speaker a little higher. But this is why i’m gonna replace this with the Ikea Symfonisk Lamp Gen2…i’ll let you see in a picture.

Or i could use $300+ for Sonos Orginal Stands and place them in each corner(the Era100)

FYI, in these forums @BOL74  will flag a specific user, and notify them that they have been reference them in a post, if they have notifications turned on (I don’t).

Yea, I don’t think the picture really changes anything.  You can’t just add a lamp module/feature to the top of Era 100s and 300s without changing the physical design, and features, of these products.  The symfonisk lamps relocated the hard button controls to the bottom, rather than top, and lose the mic.  Then there is a difference in woofers/tweeters in the device.  I would not be too surprised if a gen 3 of the ikea lamp comes out this year with the dual woofers like Era 100 has, and possibly a mic for voice control, etc.

Regardless, I understand why you’re wanting to switch to the lamps.  They are a good option to save space. 

I’m going to have to make an effort to find and listen to some Atmos music.

I’m a big Play 5 / Five fan but the 300s do open up something I’ve not really considered.

I find it interesting to compare stereo and atmos music. For me it’s like with food… different tastes like italian or asian food but both can be great. 😉

Stereo still is my favorite but sometimes it’s a great change to listen to atmos music. But the quality of atmos tracks imho differs a lot. Some tracks sound horrible and others are such a pleasure. 

It might be a decent analogy to compare stereo/atmos similar to comparing studio recording/live recording?  I don’t know.  I tend to like atmos and not like live recordings, so...I don’t know what that says.  Also worth noting that atmos music, IMO, requires a distinct listening position more than stereo.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@melvimbe 

Of course you need need the optimized listening position for atmos music. And maybe even more as for stereo. But with home theater sound it‘s the same. More audio channels mean the need of a position where they meet each other. 😉

Btw I totally agree… live recordings don’t „touch“ me. But a live concert really does. 😎

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

#melvimble

Yes i know bout the @melvimble-kinda notefy,but i use #melvimble…

I’m trying to justefy the money spend in my bedroom-set-up. Rather than buy Sonos stand for my Era100(witch is as i mention $300+) i will replace the Era100 over the Ikea Symfonisk Lamp Gen2. Just to have the Ikea Symfonisk Lamp on my bed-side table(replace the Era100 witch is been used as surround in my Beam Gen2&Sub Mini set-up). So in picture you see the Era100 on top of my lamp. Not ideal. When i get the Ikea Symfonisk Lamp,the exsisting lamp will be gone from the bed-side table.

I have the Philips Hue smart-bulb and it will go in the Ikea Symfonisk Lamp. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hello y’all👌

Today i got my package with the Era 300&the Five.

I only recive one Flexson-stand for the Five so i placed them in front becide the TV in my Home Cinema-setup in my livingroom upstairs. One on stand,one on a table.

I was not impressed by the sound. Both where placed horizontal(buttons on top).

Then i moved them to put them in the place i intended to have them…in my master-bedroom becide the TV. This time i place them on the TV-furniture in a vertical position with the buttons out to the side. The room is much smaller than the livingroom,but got those dropping sealing.

Here i really enjoy them. They play really well,but i did not crank up the volume since i assume they need time to break in(?) I don’t know what to do with the Flexson stands,cause honestly i think they become “too big” to be in my livingroom becide the TV. And probobly will be an issue with my Roborock Q7 robotvacuum-cleaner. Need to think bout it for a while.

The Era 300’s i set them up as surround in my livingroom(Arc/Dual Gen3). I had not so much time watch a movie so i need to listen a bit more. And my Sonos org.stands for them has not arrived yet. But i did watch a trailer(The Falcon and the winter solider) and i experience a bit of Atmos-effect. 
Well,i will keep you updated…

Be Well🤜