Era 100s or 300s for rears with little space behind sofa

• 31 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello, I am trying to decide between Era 100 and Era 300 to use with my ARC and sub (gen3) as surrounds. My wife agreed to the sonos rears as long as they are not visible. So my only option is to put them behind the sofa (which has about 8-12 inches of clearance to the wall). I am using Era 100 now behind the coach with the left and right speaker facing each other. The sound is as good as expected in this scenario. I still have the option to return the 100s and try the 300s, but i wanted to see if it is even worth the effort. I know the 300s have more side and top facing speakers with Atmos. I am worried they may be too big for my situation and may not offer any advantage over the 100s in this limited space. Anyone with a similar setup, or some advice? Thanks in advance. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

I have a similar setup and my Era 300s sound great as surrounds with my Arc setup. I use a couple of narrow console tables behind my sofa. They match the height of my sofa and are the perfect depth for an Era 300. Best of all, my wife approves:

https://a.co/d/5wHPOSg

Thanks for your answer.

Do they exceed above the sofa, or are they below? I read somewhere that the front speaker of the 300 is not used in surround mode, is that the case? or is that only in Atmos mode? In my case, the speaker top would be flush with the sofa  cushion, so they will be mostly hidden and the front speaker would be a few inches away from the back of the sofa.