Dolby Atmos with Sonos Arc + Samsung Frame TV (2019)?

• 15 November 2020
  • 4 replies

I’m interested in upgrading my home theatre audio setup and am very interested in Sonos Arc, but after much reading online I can’t tell if it’ll work and support Dolby Atmos with my specific TV over HDMI ARC (no eARC). 

Has anyone had success using Samsung Frame (2019) with Sonos Arc and getting Dolby Atmos sound output?

I only really care whether it will work in in a few cases:

• Streaming apps (Netflix / HBO Max, as they do over Dolby Digital Plus)
  • Gaming on Xbox One X

I found this review that says:

Dolby Atmos is available over HDMI ARC through Dolby Digital Plus, so Netflix Atmos will work properly

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/the-frame-2019

From what I’ve read, Dolby Digital Plus produces a compressed version Dolby Atmos, but 🤷
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dolby-atmos-sound/

Dolby Digital Plus is a lossy, lower-bandwidth format that has been optimized for use with streaming services and features like 😎 Live. It’s currently supported by a wide range of devices, including laptops, tablets, smartphones, and streaming boxes like Apple TV and Roku. Dolby Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus will be the way most people experience Atmos.

Not only is it the format used by Netflix and Amazon, but it’s also the only version of Atmos that is compatible with HDMI ARC (more on this later).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good luck. the Frame has been a challenge, compatibility-wise. Depends on the exact model, and whether it uses the One Box? or not, which varies by geography.

I figured I’d give it a shot and ordered the Arc + Sub, and glad to report that it’s been working great over HDMI ARC.

Netflix was able to stream Atmos enabled content without a hitch, and paired with my old Play:1’s the home theater experience with Arc + Sub sounds pretty incredible.

My Xbox One X is only coming through as 5.1 and my understanding is I can’t support Atmos TrueHD in my setup, but I knew that going into it from my research. Maybe I’ll upgrade my TV in a couple years, but I’m not feeling like I’m really missing out with my current setup.

Overall, very happy with my purchase!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have the same setup and haven’t been able to ever get the Atmos logo to appear. 

Badge

I have same setup with a 55' 2020 Frame. I noticed that both the Netflix and Disney Plus apps (RAN THROUGH THE TV's Apps) does not play atmos content on movies that it should....in fact Disney+ only shows 5.1 as the sound option under the titles description, but if you go into the other details tab of those titles, it will show you it is available in 5.1, Atmos, etc,.  Now Netflix shows atmos next to the title and the description, but it doesnt play Atmos and there is no selectable 'English(Atmos)' audio option.  In my main theatre room and an older tv, I can select the atmos audio option under Netflix, and they also play atmos on Disney+.

However, my 4k player (ran through the Frame's box via hdmi and of course sent out via eARC via hdmi to the sonos arc) DOES PLAY atmos on an Atmos movie disc ( I got the Atmos logo to appear on my app)  So, I believe that if I use a 4k firestick or Roku or others that support atmos (i.e., I have fire cube in my theatre room), and I run it the same method like my 4k player, it should play Atmos.  I'll check tomm as my new 4k FIRE TV stick arrived tonight and I need to hook it up.

Sorry for being wordy.  😉