Answered

Does it make sense to add Beam (or Arc) to an Airplay via Port system?

• 29 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hey folks

first time poster here, so, sorry if there is already a discussion on this topic somewhere, I’ve looked around but couldn’t find one. If there is, please direct me <3

Current system: 

I’ve had a Port and 2x Play:1s for a while now. It is an amazing sound that fills the room and isn’t overly directional. I use it for:

1. Music over Sonos Radio or Spotify, duh.
  2. Have a ProJect T1 turntable and Dual amp connected to the Port.
  3. Use them as Apple TV speakers via AirPlay to the Port.

The choice:

So, I’ve been thinking about getting a Beam 2. Visually it looks much better than the Arc as it is smaller and I don’t own a TV. But I’d also be open to an Arc if it makes more sense.

First, I kinda expect points 1&2 to “just work”™ I expect to group the 3 speakers up with the Port, because those use cases are first-class citizens in the Sonos ecosystem.

My concern was with number 3 - if it actually makes sense getting a Beam (or Arc) due to the fact that AirPlay probably limits the playback quality. So, if I’m unable to get Atmoses and Dolbys, will the Beam actually add anything to my system? I guess it is worth noting that I in fact deeply hate watching movies with sound effects louder than the voice levels, which is why 2xPlay:1 were perfect as they flatten the low frequencies (by the virtue of being cheap) and I can actually hear what people are saying :D

The reason my AppleTV depends on AirPlay to share the sound is that I don’t own a TV and it is connected to a projector via a long HDMI cable. This kinda means that I’d have to drag 2x 10 meter HDMI cables around the room (to the projector, and then back to Beam) if i wanted ARC with a Beam or an Arc (¿as far as I understand?) which would be a pain in the backside.

The question:

I guess I can summarize what I wrote above into:

1. Would Beam/Arc actually be better for me, seeing as I use AirPlay and don’t like “overly bassy” music and movies?
  2. Would Beam/Arc make the voices clearer?
  3. Would they actually even want to be grouped up with Port and 2 Play:1s?
  4. Does it even make sense to group them up or should i just sell the Play:1s?
  5. Do you see another way? Did I misunderstand how ARC works? Are there double HDMI cables? Perhaps somehow replacing AirPlay with HDMI?

Thanks everyone who got this far :D 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 31 July 2023, 12:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MrManafon 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The question:

I guess I can summarize what I wrote above into:

1. Would Beam/Arc actually be better for me, seeing as I use AirPlay and don’t like “overly bassy” music and movies?
  2. Would Beam/Arc make the voices clearer?
  3. Would they actually even want to be grouped up with Port and 2 Play:1s?
  4. Does it even make sense to group them up or should i just sell the Play:1s?
  5. Do you see another way? Did I misunderstand how ARC works? Are there double HDMI cables? Perhaps somehow replacing AirPlay with HDMI?
  1. That depends. They certainly have the opportunity to be more reliable as you’d be AirPlay-ing directly to the Beam/Arc rather than to the Port. If it is a question of audio quality, only you can decide. If you purchase from our website, you’ll get a 100-day money-back-guarantee period to try it out - if you are not happy, return it for a full refund, no questions asked.
  2. With Home Theatre products (which Beam and Arc are), you get the options of Night Mode - which compresses the dynamic range of surround formats, making quiet sounds lounder and louder sounds quieter - and Speech Enhancement - which boosts the frequency range in which voices are heard.
  3. Yes. You could play Port’s line-in to either Beam/Arc or Play:1s, or all. As I mentioned, you can AirPlay directly, so no need to group with Port for AirPlay.
  4. There are options. You could put both Play:1s into a surround sound configuration with the Beam/Arc (though AirPlay would not make use of this configuration). Or, you could put them in another room as a stereo pair, or in two rooms individually. Personally, I would hold on to them - you may regret selling them at a later date, even if you see no use for them now. You could (mostly) cover the cost of the Beam by selling them, but I recommend testing if you are happy with the replacement before doing so.
  5. Only newer projectors supply ARC/eARC connections - if your projector does not, then ARC isn’t even an option without extra expensive kit (like HD Fury Arcana). AirPlay may be the best way to go. Surround formats are only supported over HDMI-ARC connections, however. I’m not sure what you mean by “double HDMI cables”, but both Beam and Arc come with a HDMI-optical adaptor - if your Apple TV has an optical output, you could connect directly to it using the adaptor. A long HDMI cable attached to the adaptor would allow a greater separation between the devices. This is not ideal with projectors, however, as you mentioned. Things work best (fewer long cables) if a short-throw projector is used.

In my opinion, paying for an Arc would be a waste if you are not going to be able to receive surround formats via HDMI-ARC. You may want to look at the new entry-level Ray as another option - though it has optical input only, no HDMI.

I hope this helps - if you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate.

What sort of improvement are you looking for?  It sounds like your pretty happy with your setup, so I’m not quite sure what you’re looking to get out of switching out the Play:1s for a Beam or Arc.

The one thing I’d factor in is that the Beam/Arc is really only going to sound better if you do a direct HDMI-ARC connection, and it will not (IMO) sound better for streaming sources, your turntable, or airplay sources.  All of these sources are stereo, so the separation of left and right audio channels gives you the best sound.  I’m not saying I don’t like the Beam or Arc, as I do, but they excel at dolby digital formats, not stereo.   Soundbars in general are not ideal for stereo sound.

Have you considered switching out the Play:1s with Era 100s?  They are equipped with airplay and aux input, so they can connect to your Apple TV and Turntable without needing the Port. At $500 for a pair, it costs the same as a Beam, and allows you to sell or reuse your play:1s and Port.

Yes, it can make sense to add a Sonos Beam or Arc soundbar to an AirPlay via Port system, depending on your specific audio setup and preferences.

The Sonos Beam and Arc are soundbars that offer advanced audio features, including excellent sound quality, voice control, and integration with various streaming services. They are designed to enhance your TV's audio experience and provide a more immersive sound for movies, shows, and music.

On the other hand, the Sonos Port is a device that allows you to add Sonos functionality to an existing audio system or receiver. It can bring smart features, multi-room audio, and streaming capabilities to traditional speakers.

Badge

Thank you @melvimbe and @Corry P , I’ve found it hard to put into words but you’ve explained it so well. 

I suppose that I was unsure if Beam/Arc would offer “better sound” by the magical virtue of being more expensive - even tho I’m using AirPlay. I’ve looked at the comparison chart topic on the forums before writing here, but it had no comparison of AirPlay with other types of sources.

In any case, this is good point of view - i need to clearly define what I want, before spending another $1000 on speakers. I am very happy with how music sounds. I want to hear movie conversations more clearly. I guess that is the main thing I’m not yet satisfied with, really, when i analyse everything.

I will look into your recommendations! But it does sound like a Ray or Beam in Speech Enchancement mode would do a good job. I guess no real need for Arc then, as I won’t be getting any fancy features with AirPlay anyway.

P.S. I mistakenly marked @melvimbe as answer instead of @Corry P , sorry about that :/ don’t know if i can change it.