Do I need surrounds? If so, placement ideas?

• 9 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

Hoping to get a little bit of feedback about a couple things related to surrounds. I have a Beam and Sub in my living room and I am thinking about adding some Ones as surround speakers. However, I’m wondering if its worth it if I can’t place them in an ideal location. My living room is about 14 x 16 feet or so. I would likely have to place the surround speakers in the spots marked in the picture. I welcome any insight!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If it’s available where you live, buy it and try it; then return if not satisfied. That way you can let your ears decide whether it works for you. 

Also, remember that the speakers require a power cord, so placing them on the wall like that means you’re going to have wires showing or an electrician out to put in new outlets.  Your other option to get speaker stands.

Thanks for the replies. You’re correct - the wires will have to be run down the corners. I was planning to use a cable raceway with adhesive to make it look a little tidier. But, as mentioned, I will probably install it and see what I think.

I thought about stands, but the left stand would interfere with that light switch, and there might not be enough room for the right stand behind the couch (my Sub is behind that little "cuddler” section). I may just order stands and try it out, though. 

What’s the height of the switch? The bottom of mine here in Texas are roughly 43 inches from the floor. The top of my surrounds (PLAY:1s, the same size as Sonos Ones) on top of Flexson stands are roughly 39 inches. That’s 4 inches of clearance.