Do I need a sonos connect

• 28 October 2018
  • 6 replies

I just bought a multi room Sonos speaker system that is great. It all works and syncs with airplay 2. The only room without sonos is my main living room which has a denon receiver sub and speakers. On my iPhone all of my Sonos speakers show up and I can play them all at once. The denon receiver also appears and I can play it. But I can’t play it at the same time as the other Sonos speakers (whereas I can play all the Sonos at the same time) Do I need a connect to be able to do this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes, the Connect will allow you to hook your Denon into the Sonos music system. You have a choice of Digital or Analog outputs on the Connect.

The Connect also has an RCA analog input if you want to hook that to your tape-outs to feed what is playing on the Denon into your Sonos setup.
So you know if the connect has cables included or do they need to be bought separately?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I bought mine back in 2006 or so when they were called Zone Player 80s so I don't have a clue. Still an optical or RCA cable is a buck or two at your local audio shop.
I haven't seen a recent boxed CONNECT, but the older units included a pair of stereo RCA cables.
I'll start from the beginning on this. I bought a home pod mostly because i have all apple products and it seemed easier to use itunes with... Then I bought a bunch of Sonos speakers I have paired with it and it is working great. They all work through Airplay....so when i have a song on, i see all the options and speakers I can play it to....I can play them separately or all at once. they have a little circle next to them.....I also have in my living room a denon system i bought a few years ago. This also works with airplay, so it also shows up as an option. I can play this as well BUT I can't play it at the same time as the other speakers.....I can only play it by itself. Not the end of the world, but I'd like that option. From all the research I've done, the Sonos connect will allow this to happen. I bought it and hooked it up and it isnt working.....again, it plays when i want it to, just not at the same time as the other speakers..... I called the SONOS number and they are clueless......if I cant get it to work I will send it back but is this possible to do?
The Connect is not Airplay 2 capable. However, you can group it wth an Airplay 2 capable Sonos speaker and it will play the Airplay 2 source for the group.