Question

Cutoff Date for Connect Designation as Modern Product

Can someone please clarify the 2015 cutoff month for the Connect to be considered a Modern Product?This really shouldn’t be this hard, but Sonos fumbles around on this question.

For example, I want to add a November 2015 Connect to an S2 system. From what I can tell l *should* be okay if I buy this unit.

But that’s not 100% clear.

Does Sonos not know??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not a direct answer to your question, but the current owner of the Connect could check his Sonos profile (under “System”) to see if the Connect is deemed Legacy or not.

Yes, thanks, but that avenue is not available in this case, as it is presently not part of a system.

Anyone know the cutoff month for the Connect (and the Connect Amp)?

There has been evidence on other threads that 1502 (i.e. February 2015) and 1504 (i.e. April 2015) devices have been ‘modern’.  So, whilst issuing a disclaimer against any financial claim against me, I think you are pretty safe with a 1511 model.

Another thing you should check is whether the physical button on the unit has a play/pause or a mute symbol.  If it is a mute, it is almost certainly legacy, so make sure it has a play/pause symbol.  (But if it is a 1511 model I think it will have a play/pause.)

Incidentally, it will still appear in someone’s account until it is re-registered to a new owner, so not sure I buy the ‘not part of any system’ line you have been given.

Yes, thanks, but that avenue is not available in this case, as it is presently not part of a system.

Anyone know the cutoff month for the Connect (and the Connect Amp)?

As John B mentions, the Connect does not have to be part of a system, the device and its status as either Legacy or Modern will still show in the last users online profile under their 'system' tab until it is registered to another user profile. So if that user is the seller, they should be able to go online and perhaps provide you with a screenshot of it’s status. Hope that helps.

Thanks boys, helpful, but I guess there is no definitive word from Sonos itself, which is odd. I’ve shot them an e-mail as well. I will post if they can clarify.

I think the challenge being faced here is the assumption that if/when there was a change, it happened at the first or last day of the month. If it happened during, say, the third week of the month, some of them marked with the same month/year would be one way, others would be the other. And there’s always the possibility of more than one line working on the product, and each line not being converted at the same moment.

I suspect the answer is ‘fuzzy’, which is why Sonos can’t provide a definitive answer that pleases you. 

Bruce, if that is the actual answer it would please me and I assume everyone else who is trying his/her best to deal with the difficulties they have created. However, they haven’t even said that much.

Additional question: when a product, say on eBay, says it’s in the “recycle” mode, what exactly does that mean presently? My understanding is that they changed the policy so there is no longer a recycle mode. In other words, you can still use the old product if you utilize the 30% discount for a new product..

Is that not the case? It’s important to me because I plan to use all the legacy stuff (and I have about 20 pieces) in my vacation home.

The units placed into recycle mode during the very small window it was around are useless.  Might as well use them for a doorstop.  Units that were upgraded after the recycle mode policy was rescinded are fine.  

Excellent, that’s what I thought, thank you all for your quick responses!!

Here is the response from Sonos. Seems like maybe all 2015 units are Modern Product, but perhaps still not crystal clear, in light of posts on this board that early 2015 are not Modern Product?

The cutoff date for the Connect or Connect:Amp is a manufacture date of 2015 and newer; if you have a Connect or Connect:Amp made in 2015-2019 these are going to be Modern players with the ability to go to the new S2 software platform this June. If you're unsure of your units and you'd like me to reference a serial number, I can find the manufacturing date that way for you and confirm; a Connect:Amp made in November of 2015 should be a Modern player.