Answered

CR200 Controller and TradeUp

• 21 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

How does TradeUp work for a CR200 Controller - essentially a product for which there is no (hardware) replacement?

The TradeUp page allows me to check the box next to it and then “Click to receive your credit” (which I haven’t done yet, because I’m unsure about what I let myself in for). This doesn’t indicate that the recycle mode will be initiated. Does this mean I can claim 30% per controller that I own, but it won’t stop working?

Can I then use the discount on any Sonos product?

If I understand it correctly, then as long as I leave a legacy product (e.g. a CR200 controller) in the setup, none of my components will receive software updates, right?

I guess I can’t use more than one TradeUp discount (30%) on a single new product? I don’t really need new products, but if I start adding the discounts for my controllers for the purchase of one item, I may “need” a new product ;-)

Thanks….

icon

Best answer by jgatie 21 January 2020, 18:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No need to replace anything, the 30% discount can be used on any Sonos product.  It can also be used towards most bundles.

Right, so no “forced end” in 21 days (just no software updates)

But I can only use one 30% discount per product, i.e. I couldn’t claim 60% on a new PlayBar if I opted to receive my credit for two CR200s, right? 

Right, so no “forced end” in 21 days (just no software updates)

But I can only use one 30% discount per product, i.e. I couldn’t claim 60% on a new PlayBar if I opted to receive my credit for two CR200s, right? 

Yes, 30% per product or bundle, you can’t add them up.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

For what its worth, here’s my experience:

I was horrified (actually flabbergasted) to hear of the obsolescence of my five (or more) Sonos products yesterday so I logged into my Sonos account to investigate. Three Connects with “End of software updates” status (Trade Up Eligible), an EoSU bridge and a CR200 Controller that was shown as EoSU (Trade Up Eligible). I was particularly intrigued with this last item as my controller is now redundant due to the well publicised dead-spots issue.

Being inquisitive, I thought I’d check to see the notional “value” of the trade-up scheme, particularly with regard to the CR200. I clicked through and found it was eligible for 30% off numerous products, including Port, bringing it down from a ridiculous £399 to a more manageable £279. Before I realised what I’d done I observed a message: “Trade Up initiated. Credit available”. It seems I’d already started the countdown clock.

I swore loudly at this point causing my wife to enquire. I described the whole situation… she said I’d basically been completely mugged by Sonos for over 1500 quid in total.