Question

Converting Sonance DAB1 Distributed Audio to Sonos

• 26 January 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a Sonance DAB1 Distributed Audio system in my house.  This is the type of system that has a control panel (wired remote) on the wall in each room that has built in speakers that allow you to turn that room sound on/off, change the source, and change the volume.  The system also has a main controller (think large amplifier that allows for system programing) that runs the system.

I’d like to convert the speakers in this system to sonos, but I don’t know if this is possible and what it would take to do it.  Ideally I’d be able to remove the DAB1 controller and use Sonos Amp or something like that to control each pair of speakers, I just don’t know if this is possible since there are control panels for each pair that currently control them.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @arthurnicks,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

Is this the first time you will set up your Sonance DAB1 Audio system with Sonos? I would like to share with you the Sonos amp features, limitations, and guidelines. The Sonos Amp is a versatile amplifier for powering all your entertainment. It works with traditional 8-ohm bookshelf speakers as well as pairs of 6 or 4-ohm speakers. You can add 4 speakers with the Sonos Amp.  Make sure the impedance rating of your speakers is 8 ohms. Any other impedance rating may cause the Amp to fault. We do not recommend wiring your speakers in series as it will result in poor sound quality. 

Sonos Amp is only able to play one source of music at a time, you can control it using the Sonos Amp. If you really want to control them individually or per set, you’d need to do it directly to the speakers themselves because Sonos does not have access to it and we can only control the Sonos products in the app.  Let’s see what Community members have any experience with this product with their Sonos they might share their inputs about it.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.