Question

considering swapping my beam for playbar

• 6 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

I'm currently running a beam+one+one+sub setup, and I feel that the beam is kind of s bottle neck when listening to music.

I am now considering to pick up a used playbar and sell the beam (offcourse after some listening and comparing). 

Any thoughts on this? What are the pro's and con's? 

One question that I can think of is, will the volume of the playbar be adjusted when I adjust the volume of my TV?

And another thing, how long do you think the playbar will be supported in S2?

Kind regards

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If you’re after best music sound, a pair of Play: 5’s would probably better sonically, at a higher cost, as well as giving a better soundstage. 

If you do go for them or the Playbar they are promised support for at least 5 years after they ceased selling them, though past product support suggests it’ll be a lot longer than that. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for your replay Nik!

I get you're point, but then I would be missing the rears, and i would have to use the 3,5 jack as input for TV sound. This would mean running a cable, while no cables was one of the reasons for getting into Sonos in the first place.

I am looking for the best kind of comprise here, taking into account that the budget is kinda reaching its limits.

So, 5 years after so is ceases to sell the playbar, that would be somewhere around now? Or is sonos still selling them?

And are there other downsides to switching back. 

Kind regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I took your comment that “I feel that the beam is kind of s bottle neck when listening to music” to mean you wanted best music system - hence adding the Five or Play:5 pair. Yes, Playbar is considered better than Beam if you’re just looking to swap out rather than get additional speakers. 

Playbar sales only stopped as Arc was introduced so there’s plenty left in that minimum 5 year period. And don’t forget sonos are still providing limited support via S1 for 15-year-old technology. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos stopped selling the Playbar in may/june of 2020. You can configure the Playbar to react to your TV’s remote. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3402?language=nl_NL

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I took your comment that “I feel that the beam is kind of s bottle neck when listening to music” to mean you wanted best music system - hence adding the Five or Play:5 pair. Yes, Playbar is considered better than Beam if you’re just looking to swap out rather than get additional speakers. 

Playbar sales only stopped as Arc was introduced so there’s plenty left in that minimum 5 year period. And don’t forget sonos are still providing limited support via S1 for 15-year-old technology. 

I understand, and am thankful for your response!

Would it seem like a worthwhile step to you to switch to the playbar? I really want to stick with a soundbar solution setup in the the tv room while trying to maximize music listering. Thats also the reason I added the sub there, because I was missing some deeper basses while listening to music. In my opinion though, the beam and the sub are somewhat of a mismatch..

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sonos stopped selling the Playbar in may/june of 2020. You can configure the Playbar to react to your TV’s remote. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3402?language=nl_NL

Thanks for you response and the info on the volume matter!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

In my setup, neither the beam nor the playbar were great for playing music in a similar system (bar + sub + ones). As my music-to-TV ratio is about 10:1, I added a pair of Play:5 for music. Good. Then I added another Sub. Went from good to great. 

In the end, I sold off the 5.1 system because of the inconvenience of having two systems and a whole lot of gear in the living room — and did the TV-analog-out-to-Play:5 cable thing. Works fine, sounds good — I don’t miss the surround system.

Music first! ;-)